• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Just a day at home. S.Wales. (1 Viewer)

Been at home all day, working in the garden and thought I'd share some of my bird experiences. Just put into context where I live. our house is situated next to a large estuary . The spring high tide line is about 100yards from our house. Just yards away on the opposite side is a partially wooded hill with pasture fields at the bottom.
So, it was like spring today and the woods echoed with songbirds. there were 7 long tailed tits on the bird feeders at one point along with the usual mix of blue tits , robins, chaffinches and one gold finch. The resident gang of about 30 house sparrows seem to be getting noisier. Blackbirds turned over leaves in the flower beds. The collared doves were the first in to feed, 9 of them. I came inside at one point and glanced out of our landing window to see a Peregrine lazily pass by yards away. For the last few weeks plenty of Curlews, Oystercatchers and a few Lapwings have been feeding in the field just yards from the house. I counted over 100 Curlews a few days ago. there is something amazing, well to me at least, of listening to numerous songbirds mixed in with Curlews and Oystercatchers calling as they drift over the garden coming in to land in the field. Late this afternoon, the 2 resident buzzards added their calls as they soared on the wind and a red Kite came right over the garden. In fact I have just been outside now. It is totally dark and I can hear so many Oystercatchers and Curlews out on the estuary, chattering away. I've been out at midnight before, and they are still at it !
Just a day at home.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back