Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - A window to the world of birds

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Saturday 29th April 2017, 00:19   #1
hummingbird2
Forum Member

Larges Sea birds

I have been trying to I.D. a large sea bird in Corpus Christi location.

Wondering where to find photo's of largest birds in that location. It was a bird I fed while feeding Seagulls that scare us to death. Larger than myself, white with black feathers peppered through out wings, a long neck, and its nose indented in. Cousin thought we were just unfamiliar with pelicans, but this wasn't one, it was much larger bird and we feared for our lives. Up on top of a balcony several stories up, it dived out of no where and plucked a hog dog out of my hand, caused me to scream and check to see if hand was still there, lol it was huge.

Is there a way possible to I.D. this bird, or could it be something unknown?
Old Saturday 29th April 2017, 01:08   #2
Sangahyando

AFAIK there aren't really any birds in North America bigger than pelicans, though. In fact, pelicans are among the largest extant birds capable of flight. The bird might've appeared larger than usual because usually one doesn't get that close to them (also, sudden encounters can have that effect, in my experience).
The behaviour still fits a gull best (they are the only seabirds I know of that routinely pirate food from humans, and not just other seabirds), perhaps "just" a young American Herring Gull?

Last edited by Sangahyando : Saturday 29th April 2017 at 01:10.
Old Saturday 29th April 2017, 04:38   #3
hummingbird2
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangahyando View Post
AFAIK there aren't really any birds in North America bigger than pelicans, though. In fact, pelicans are among the largest extant birds capable of flight. The bird might've appeared larger than usual because usually one doesn't get that close to them (also, sudden encounters can have that effect, in my experience).
The behaviour still fits a gull best (they are the only seabirds I know of that routinely pirate food from humans, and not just other seabirds), perhaps "just" a young American Herring Gull?
We were startled, it was all a sudden, but it did have black feathers peppered all through the white ones, not uniformed at all, if you understand that part. It was like a black feather stuck here and there. Weird. Also I felt it was larger than myself, I'm over 5'6, and the others were holding at their hearts plastered against the sliding glass door. We were on the balcony. Scrambling inside my cousin made fun of us, thinking it only a pelican, but I know close up it wasn't the bird you showed me or a pelican. I will know it when i see it again. It was larger than this one bird seen two men hold up that was all one color, looking gray. Forget what it was called. Flamingos are very large, know its nothing like it, but maybe a bird out of location? It's hard when not familiar with large birds, and what you said could be a factor in making a size comparison. Hope to I.D. this bird. Thanks.

I forgot to question you about North America because this was on vacation at Corpus Cristi , TX , which think is South, so maybe there is some other birds you might be able to think of?

Last edited by hummingbird2 : Saturday 29th April 2017 at 05:16.
Old Saturday 29th April 2017, 08:02   #4
Hotspur
James Spencer

Pelican?
Last Yorks: Pacific Golden Plover (315)

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 2nd May 2017, 12:52   #5
hummingbird2
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangahyando View Post
Now I wonder what kind of bird would freaked people out about a Jersey devil, its dark lighting, seems authentic photo, but what could it be with such poor lighting? I've seen some pretty large gray bats around here but none that look like that! Could it be a bird, or kite? I would think the shape more for bat wings, but eyewitnesses say it look to them like a vulture.

http://www.disclose.tv/news/jersey_d...ylvania/138373

Last edited by hummingbird2 : Tuesday 2nd May 2017 at 13:16.
Old Tuesday 2nd May 2017, 13:38   #6
hummingbird2
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotspur View Post
Pelican?
The Tawny Owlets are so cute!!
Old Tuesday 2nd May 2017, 14:51   #7
PineRiver

I wonder if it could have been a wood stork?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_PRP4737.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	625182  
Old Tuesday 2nd May 2017, 14:56   #8
PineRiver

Here's another angle:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_PRP610-7676.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	214.0 KB
ID:	625185  
Old Tuesday 2nd May 2017, 18:31   #9
hummingbird2
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineRiver View Post
I wonder if it could have been a wood stork?
It does seem large because of its wing span, but the beak had indents inward from the nose holes, it was mostly all white, except for here and there black feathers through out an otherwise white bird, and a long neck. The birds body seem small here, but I wonder how it would look flying at a dive and taking a hot dog from my hand? Probably still would of startled me it this bird took something out of my hand. I don't remember the full features of the bird in questions beak, only remember seeing the unusual indented nostrils up close.
Old Tuesday 2nd May 2017, 19:15   #10
hummingbird2
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineRiver View Post
Here's another angle:
Could there be a swan that is with gigantism, with a throw back in some white feathers turning black? The nose fits some to what I remember!
http://static.squarespace.com/static...ormat=original
Old Wednesday 21st June 2017, 05:45   #11
Beer-dee

isn't it too big for a swan?
Old Wednesday 21st June 2017, 10:05   #12
Nutcracker
Northumbrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird2 View Post
Up on top of a balcony several stories up, it dived out of no where and plucked a hog dog out of my hand, caused me to scream and check to see if hand was still there, lol it was huge.
Not a swan, nor a pelican, nor a wood stork. None of them would fly onto a balcony of a tower block to grab food.

It's a gull, that would do so, but nothing else would.

It's just the shock and surprise of it being right up next to you that makes it so huge in your memory.
Old Monday 10th July 2017, 19:33   #13
Gastronaut

No, I think Beer-dee is on to something. How about Ostrich? OK they say they're flightless but that's the African ones. Maybe in Texas they're bigger and meaner and have learnt how to fly, or at least climb tall buildings. Of course if it jumped off the top of the building it wouldn't need to fly, it could just reach out that long scrawny neck as it plummeted past and easily snatch an unguarded hot dog from an unsuspecting hand. They're certainly known for their aggression, don't ever look one in the eye. And didn't Johnny Cash himself get into a fight with one once? Damn good omelettes though.
Old Monday 10th July 2017, 20:17   #14
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Great thread folks, keep it up!
Escaped Lammergeier maybe, especially if there was some bone or gristle in the hot dog
Old Monday 10th July 2017, 21:49   #15
Nutcracker
Northumbrian

Found it - pic here
Old Monday 10th July 2017, 23:55   #16
AidenD

Have we eliminated the prospect of a small plane? Couldn't the pilot have stuck out his hand to grab the hot dog? Or by perhaps a drone? I heard that the United States Army is experimenting with their new prototypes to test how well they do on the BBQ Food Snatching Scale.
Old Tuesday 11th July 2017, 07:45   #17
markspirito

Juvenile Magnificent frigate bird ?? they tend to fly round hotel balconies...I have seen them doing this in Florida

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...C1T_WednOV-lEA

Last edited by markspirito : Tuesday 11th July 2017 at 08:41.
Old Thursday 10th August 2017, 10:36   #18
markspirito

Found this on you tube :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4rOa-eRTRk
Old Thursday 10th August 2017, 15:22   #19
Nutcracker
Northumbrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by markspirito View Post
I was waiting for one of them to fly off with the cat
Old Friday 11th August 2017, 11:51   #20
kb57

Quote:
Originally Posted by markspirito View Post
That's another addition to my bucket list...although I'm guessing there must be cheaper places to see a frigate bird than the Cayman Islands?
Old Friday 11th August 2017, 12:01   #21
markspirito

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb57 View Post
That's another addition to my bucket list...although I'm guessing there must be cheaper places to see a frigate bird than the Cayman Islands?

Florida keys is a good area to see them, although still not that cheap to visit
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: