• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monopod for tall person (1 Viewer)

Jaff

Registered Member
I'd like a monopod but as I'm 6'2" most of the one's I've seen are too short.

I say too short because I want one that's able to take shots of birds above me as well as below. I'd also prefer it be Manfrotto so I can stick my 488RC2 on it and one I've come across on WHE is the Manfrotto Neotec MN685B. Has anyone had experience of this one and it's 'unique' locking mechanism to tell me if it works as quick and easy as claimed.

Can anyone recommend others (without going into silly money)?
Cheers.
Adam

I'd also prefer it be Manfrotto so I can stick my 488RC2 on it
You should be able to mount your 488 head on any monopod with a 3/8 or 1/4 mounting bolt.

The Neotec does seem to be Manfrotto's tallest monopod, but it's only 3 inches taller than the standard 679B (67 vs 64 inches), so I'm not so sure it would make much of a difference if the 679 is too short (I don't know if it would be, however).

Hello Adam.... I am about 6'7'' uncoiled and I get along fine with a Manf 679B however although it is fine for horizontal shots (or lower) I doubt that I could get away with aerial shots unless I crouched (and wobbled a bit).

Thanks for the info. A bit more research thanks to your suggestion RAH tells me that my head should fit on a Giottos 3290B, at 180cm I think that'll be great and believe me it would make a difference, especially for birds up in trees which is why I want a tall one. The less amount of stooping the better!

If you're joining us at Leighton Moss in March Peter I'll let you have a go. :t:
Adam

Glad my suggestion was helpful, Jaff. Speaking of heads, I know you are thinking of using the ball head you already own, but I think a dedicated monopod tilt-only head, like the Manfrotto 3229 is a better option. The 3229 is very reasonably priced. See it here:

http://www.adorama.com/BG3229.html

I think that a ball head on a monopod would be harder to control, and all you really need is the tilting ability. I suppose you could buy the monopod, try out the ball head, and see if it is OK for you.

Glad my suggestion was helpful, Jaff. Speaking of heads, I know you are thinking of using the ball head you already own, but I think a dedicated monopod tilt-only head, like the Manfrotto 3229 is a better option. The 3229 is very reasonably priced. See it here:

http://www.adorama.com/BG3229.html

I think that a ball head on a monopod would be harder to control, and all you really need is the tilting ability. I suppose you could buy the monopod, try out the ball head, and see if it is OK for you.
I would definately second this. I tried a ballhead on a monopod briefly and found it very unsatisfactory. You really need three hands one to hold the camera, one to hold the monopod and one adjust the tension on the ballhead. I use the Manfrotto 234 (which I believe is just what the 3229 is called in the UK) which you can get with or without a quick release plate.

Yes, the 234RC is the name used in UK (used in USA now too, I think). I urge anyone to buy heads with a quick release plate, for sure! The version with quick release is at:

http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/prod.asp?i=7420&1=Manfrotto+234RC+QR+Monopod+Tilt+Head
Absolutely - but I wasn't totally sure whether the QR plate on that was compatible with the OP's setup. I found Manfrotto's plates rather small and fiddly and not that great with long lenses - so I popped a differnt QR system on top of mine.

Yes, I too use the Manf 234RC head on my Manf 679B and would recommend it because of the ease of adjustment (ie. one hand). I use this set-up with my 100/400 zoom and also my 400 DO, it works fine.

Hmmm, the 234RC looks quite good. But I have Arca/Swiss plates on all my gear. How did you change the QR system?
I bought the basic 234 with no QR and a Really Right Stuff B2 Clamp because I use RRS plates. It's quite hard to get RRS bits in the UK but you can get Arca compatible other QR Clamps such as this one. The 234 has a reversable screw with both 3/8 inch and 1/4 inch threads, and the QR plate takes a 3/8inch screw.

Thanks for a heap everyone!

I'd rather just get 'em all in one go to keep down postage and the head is pretty cheap so buying one is not too much of a risk and from what Peter says (the 400DO) it should be able to handle a 300mm f2.8 IS (my lens of choice whenever I get the money together).

Will let you know how I get when I get it but that may not be for a while yet.
Cheers.
Adam

I have a Manfrotto 680B and thought it was very tall but looks like it's actually one of the lowest in the range! Must be because I'm a shortarse! ;)

I think it's always good to keep people informed of progress, especailly after all the useful help. I've got the Giottos MML 3290B as of this week and given it a bit of a go.

Firstly, I've put my Velbon PH157Q head on it rather than buy a new one. I've always thought this was a good head for quick and easy photography and works well on the monopod (plate is a bit of a pain though, doesn't grip as well as I'd like). It is certainly a quality product, you can just tell by the feel and other things it's been made well (as you'd expect really).

So then, to the other issue. My god it is tall! :t:
Even without anything on it it was taller than me and with the head + camera it adds another 6 inches or so. Bottom line is with everything on and fully extended it must be over 7ft and it's too tall for me to even take stuff overhead! ;) Still, better to have too much than too little and I dare say even Peter could take flight shots with it! Really happy with it and will be taking it out with me wherever I go, barring some hide work my tripod is looking more and more redundant, too awkward and heavy to carry round in comparison.

Thanks for the advice all. It's going to serve me well I'm sure.
Adam

Last edited:
I think it's always good to keep people informed of progress, especailly after all the useful help. I've got the Giottos MML 3290B as of this week and given it a bit of a go.

Firstly I've put my Velbon PH157Q head on it rather than buy a new one. I've always thought this was a good head for quick and easy photography and works well on the monopod (plate is a bit of a pain though, doesn't grip as well as I'd like). It is certainly a quality product, you can just tell by the feel and other things it's been made well (as you'd expect really).

So then, to the other issue. My god it is tall! :t:
Even without anything on it it was taller than me and with the head + camera it adds another 6 inches or so. Bottom line is with everything on and fully extended it must be over 7ft and it's too tall for me to even take stuff overhead! ;) Still, better to have too much than too little and I dare say even Peter could take flight shots with it! Really happy with it and will be taking it out with me wherever I go, barring some hide work my tripod is looking more and more redundant, too awkward and heavy to carry round in comparison.

Thanks for the advice all. It's going to serve me well I'm sure.
Adam
Glad you went for the Giotto's monopod, I am 6'4" and have used my Giotto's for quite a while and totally agree its a quality item (it feels right)? I use a couple of different heads on mine including an old Benbo ball head and a very useful trigger head from Germany made by Seben which again is excellent quality and very useful for flower/butterfly shots etc (lenses upto 300mm seem to suit it best) I recomend anyone trying out a trigger head as they are great to use and cost me around £40.00.
have fun
Brian

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back