• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Photos posted from inexperienced photographers. (1 Viewer)

lvn600

I am curious as to anyone who posts photos in the gallery who fall in to these categories.
1)Have less than 2 years experience using a camera.
2)Have less than top of the line equipment-Say using a 10 or 12 x optical zoom camera at best.
3)What are some of the things you have learned since you started that have helped to improve you photos?

Last edited:
Larry,not sure what you are trying to say,but there are many shots posted in the Gallery from amateur photographers.I include myself .I do not understand cam settings,I only ever alter the ISO on my cam.But ocassionally I do take a reasonable shot.Most of the time it is just pure luck,the bird is in the right place at the right time.So it does not really matter as to the equipment one is using.I have obtained excellent shots using a cheapie 28-300 Tamron lens and a 300d cam as opposed to a 20d and a 100-400/400F5.6 lens.

christineredgate said:
.....................So it does not really matter as to the equipment one is using..............
Well put, Christine. Whatever ones experience or perceived ability, everyone should just keep aiming for their best shot (sorry for the unintended pun/s!) and enjoy the challenge. Never be put off by negative thoughts, and don't be afraid to post your results in the Gallery.

Roger

lvn600 said:
I've been overwhelmed by how many extraordinary photographs from there are from the talented photographers in the photo gallery.-What I would like to see is some photos posted here from people using the following criteria.
1)Have less than 2 years experience using a camera.
2)Have less than top of the line equipment-Say using a 10 or 12 x optical zoom camera at best.
3)Feel free to make comments or suggestions once they are posted.
Well I think I fit the bill,Larry. :t:

O.k.-folks -I guess I haven't looked carefully enough-thanks for pointing me in the right direction! i've edited the thread accordingly.

Last edited:
Dunno if my stuff's any good, Larry, but I only got my Nikon D70 - my first SLR of any sort - in May last year, so I'm just over one year in.

This is interesting because I can browse through galleries of those that have limited experience.-What I see so far is pretty darned good.-Henry when are you going to break the 3rd photo barrier mark?

So it does not really matter as to the equipment one is using.
-I can only go by 2 people that have taken pictures with a 12x digital zoom image stabilized camera and sometimes digiscope.-Of the pictures they have taken it seemed to me the digiscoped pictures were much better. It has to matter to some extent what equipment you are using.

You're right Larry, the gear has to count, but I urge you to browse this, "Birdyman's" gallery: http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showgallery.php?mcats=all&si=&what=allfields&name=birdyman&when=&whenterm=

He was a Panasonic Lumix FZ20 user, and - honest to God - if I could have done this with my FZ20, I'd never have bought a DSLR!

So clearly the photographer is pretty important to the end result as well - I've yet to see a better eye for a shot.

I mean, this is perfect: http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/64083/sort/1/cat/all/page/2

Last edited:
Wow!-I see what you mean. I have another question.-A rough estimation/average.-On a good day out when conditions are right how many photos do you take each time out and what percentage of your pictures do you keep to post on the gallery versus what you delete?

Last edited:
lvn600 said:
Wow!-I see what you mean. I have another question.-A rough estimation/average.-On a good day out when conditions are right how many photos do you take each time out and what percentage of your pictures do you keep to post on the gallery versus what you delete?
Yesterday I digiscoped 102 pictures of Kingfishers. I posted 1 and about 10 are worth keeping!.

Alan

Gallery

lvn600 said:
This is interesting because I can browse through galleries of those that have limited experience.-What I see so far is pretty darned good.-Henry when are you going to break the 3rd photo barrier mark?
Larry, I see what you mean.I have posted heaps of pics but never put them in the gallery. B :)

Good days and bad days - sometimes I'm reasonably happy with a good proportion of my pictures (say, 20%?), other days, every single one gets scrapped.

Seems like taking a lot of pictures to choose from helps the cause.-Do you know which ones to scrap before you use photo shop(or whatever) or do you have to toy with them before you find out if they are worth saving?

Once in a while you know you've got a cracker the second the shutter is released. The lighting, pose, focus, exposure, lack of movement and DOF are spot on. Often you take a couple of shots just in case the bird moved. Other times you take shots in the hope they maybe OK. Poor light, low shutter speed, bird too far away, obscured or keeps turning away.

As Keith has said you have days when they all go in the trash and God sent days when over 50% are brill. On average about 20% are keepers. I find that on days when I take the most shots in hope only 1 or 2 are keepers.

A good day for me is when I've taken 30 - 40 shots no need to take anymore you know you have some decent ones in the can. A very bad day is when I've taken over 100 - 150 and you know your be lucky if 1 or 2 are fair.

Last edited:
I've got a Megxon C580, which is a brick with a lens and a small mouse sketching what it can see through it. It's focussing ability is not the greatest and for no reason at all, it sometimes can't even focus on a mallard at 6 feet with the sun on it.
Most the time, it's ok.
Every now and again, though, it can turn up the most surprising things - even catching this tern in mid-flight (see attached pic)
Other stuff I've got with so far is here :
http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/40117
(except for the carrion crow - which I digiscoped with a very rustic set-up - and the paintings...)
Not too bad for £170...!

Attachments

• ct1.jpg
    ct1.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 158
You've got some good ones there-they aren't all perfect though so I can get an idea of what someone of limited experience can do with limited equipment-thanks.

lvn600 said:
You've got some good ones there-they aren't all perfect though so I can get an idea of what someone of limited experience can do with limited equipment-thanks.
Your environment can help - some places are just infested with birds and good light.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back