• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Arizona USA (1 Viewer)

Chris1973

Taken in Southeastern Arizona in December.

Thinking #2 is a Bald Eagle maybe, 3. Gambel's Quail, 4. Bewick's Wren?

Thank you

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 106
  • 152.JPG
    152.JPG
    199.9 KB · Views: 133
  • 274.JPG
    274.JPG
    930.8 KB · Views: 106
  • 990_01.JPG
    990_01.JPG
    510.5 KB · Views: 100
  • 494.jpg
    494.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 103
1) Northern SHoveller
2) Red-tailed Hawk (Krider's type)?
3) Gambel's Quail
4) Bewick's Wren
5) Lazuli Bunting (are you sure this was December?)
Andy

Re #2: Per Wheeler's range map this is far west of RTH "Kriders" western limit which is around Abilene, Texas. Suggest light morph western "Calurus" or "Fuertes" is more likely. Light panel near primaries also suggests juvenile.

Bob

Last edited:
The dark trailing edge to the wing suggest adult (or at least After Second Year), as does the unbanded tail. As a matter of fact the tail suggest a the Harlan's subspecies.

The dark trailing edge to the wing suggest adult (or at least After Second Year), as does the unbanded tail. As a matter of fact the tail suggest a the Harlan's subspecies.

The tail did trouble me and I agree it does suggest a Harlans. I did not mention it although Wheeler's Harlans range map shows 2 separate small locations in SE Arizona for them; a small one in the Tucson area and a larger one in the Tombstone/Bisbee area, because he does not mention Arizona at all in the sections discussing Harlans winter range and migratory movements.

BTW,Wheeler has 19 pictures of flying Harlan's Hawks out of 47 total pictures of flying RTHs.

Harlans have different color morphs so that "panel" I think I see there could also indicate a light morph? Maybe? Western RTHs also have light color morphs.

Bob

That looks even better for Harlan's, with the light spotting on the otherwise dark breast and apparently unmarked flight feathers. The tail pattern is also spot on for Harlan's, none of the other RT subspecies should show such an grayish tail with a dark tip like that.

As for the paler wing feathers, I suspect that could just be two different ages of feathers.

The picture was taken about 30 miles Northwest of Tucson. Here's another picture that's from further away but shows more detail.

Now, with this new picture, I'm thinking Ferruginous Hawk. (I know! I know! Make up my mind!;))

Long wings pointed at tip, big head, big body, dark trailing edge to flight feathers, long tail.

Wheeler's range map has them wintering in most of western, southern and NE Arizona including areas NW of Tuscon and down into the SE corner and in nearby Mexico SE down into Chihuahua. Center of the state and White Mountain region is blank.

Any suggestions? Wasn't there a Ferruginous Hawk from Arizona posted on this forum recently?

Bob

Last edited:
I looked up the dark Ferruginous in my guides and I don't see that white streaking on the breast. I believe they are fairly common in Winter in SE Arizona and I posted a picture in a previous thread that was ID'd as a (light) Ferruginous. I'm no expert, hence my posting for ID and incorrectly guessing Bald Eagle B :) ....Thanks for the suggestions. Lots of varieties of Red-tailed Hawks out in Arizona apparently.

Here is an older link from the Southeastern Arizona Bird Observatory. The 3rd paragraph on Red-tailed Hawks talks about Harlan's Hawks in that area.

http://www.sabo.org/photoalb/hawkstal.htm

There is also a discussion on Ferruginous Hawks in the area.

This location is further southeast of where Chris saw the bird discussed here. There doesn't seem to be any reason why Harlan's could not also be NW of Tuscon. There might be some reports of them in the state this year?

Bob

The white face and mostly gray tail are distinctive for Harlan's Hawk. No plumage of Ferrug even approaches this bird's plumage traits. Adult Ferrug have very white tails, shaded gray in dark birds, but they lack much in the way of distinct black markings. Additionally, Harlan's Hawks are much more widespread as a wintering bird than most field-guide maps -- if the range is mapped at all -- give it credit.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back