• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Arizona - Identification required no. 2 (1 Viewer)

DaveT

No excuses for this poor image, shutter speed, hand shake, you name it, it wasn't right but an image to review.
Taken at Paton Centre, Patagonia, Arizona, USA 19th May this year.

Again many thanks for your help in advance.

Dave

Attachments

• DTT_7279.JPG
    DTT_7279.JPG
    877 KB · Views: 36
Since nobody else is guessing: it's remarkably brownish on its underside. I think the candidates are Rufous and Allen's. Neither is supposed to be in Arizona after migration, but maybe May isn't too late.

I would go with Rufous. I’ve seen a few there in May and June.

Since nobody else is guessing: it's remarkably brownish on its underside. I think the candidates are Rufous and Allen's. Neither is supposed to be in Arizona after migration, but maybe May isn't too late.
Thanks for your suggestion, will see if I can nail to either of of your suggestions.

Somehow I think the rufous color is an artefact caused by the red on the feeder. Most Rufous don't show evenly rufous underparts, but more of a "vested" look. Size is so hard to judge here, but maybe something like Black-chinned?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back