• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Year's Day County Bird Race 2013 (1 Viewer)

Penny Clarke

Thought this might be quite a useful or/and entertaining thread;) and unite Birdforum members for the start of the New Year!

Rules: Obvious by my title:-O, but birds seen in one county only on Jan 1st. Oh and please can we try and keep this thread friendly, kind and courteous please – peace to all;):t:

Good Luck, enjoy the day and drive carefully!;):t:

Penny:girl:

I know some good Suffolk teams are doing this again. I think the record is 130 I wonder what Norfolks is? Personally im staying local again and doing the patch (Jan 1st record 108-Lowestoft area). Good luck to all in the new year.

I know some good Suffolk teams are doing this again. I think the record is 130 I wonder what Norfolks is? Personally im staying local again and doing the patch (Jan 1st record 108-Lowestoft area). Good luck to all in the new year.

I got out and about in Suffolk today, although nowhere near the heady hights of 130 I managed 77 species. All the gory details on the blog :t:

Cheers,

Jonny

Norfolk County Bird Race

Full account of the day to be added tomorrow. Took ages to sort my list. I thought I had way over a hundred and then discovered I had written a few things down twice, as you do!

100 Species seen

Robin
Blackbird
Song Thrush
Carrion Crow
Hedgesparrow
Goldcrest
Jackdaw
Rook
Barn Owl
Collared Dove
Common Pheasant
Blue Tit
Pink-footed Goose
Grey-lagged Goose
Coot
Moorhen
Mallard
Stock Dove
Woodpigeon
Little Grebe
Teal
Lapwing
Gadwall
Common Gull
Jay
Kestrel
Red-legged Partridge
Starling
Curlew
Kingfisher
Chaffinch
Tree Sparrow
Yellowhammer
Reed Bunting
Egyptian Goose
Great Tit
Mistle Thrush
House Sparrow
Mute Swan
Grey Partridge
Common Buzzard
Goldfinch
Greenfinch
Redwing
Sparrowhawk
Black-headed Gull
Magpie
Cetti's Warbler
Little Egret
Shelduck
Brent Goose
Golden Plover
Shoveler
Pochard
Tufted Duck
Wigeon
Pintail
Avocet
Great Black-backed Gull
Meadow Pipit
Skylark
Pied Wagtail
Spotted Redshank
Black-tailed Godwit
Redshank
Grey Heron
Herring Gull
Sanderling
Oystercatcher
Eider
Turnstone
Dunlin
Knot
Great Crested Grebe
Common Scoter
Red-throated Diver
Cormorant
Guillemot
Golden Eye
Red-breasted Merganser
Grey Plover
Bar-tailed Godwit
Red Kite
Marsh Harrier
Ruff
Long-tailed Tit
Siskin
Red-crested Pochard
Common Redpoll
Brambling
Wren
Water Rail
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Linnet
Rock Dove
Fulmar
Coal Tit
Nuthatch
Golden Pheasant
Canada Goose
Barnacle Goose (dodgy one)

Last edited:
I ended my January 1st Miami-Dade county list with 122 seen/6 heard only... total of 128.

Highlights: six species of waterfowl (Gadwall and American Wigeon being 'best'), White-tailed Kite, Swainson's Hawk, Merlin, 16 species of shorebird (including Wilson's Plover, Western Sandpiper, and American Avocet), five flycatchers (Least and Vermilion Flycatchers, Tropical Kingbird), 16 warbler species (including Black-throated Blue, Magnolia, Wilson's, and Black-throated Green), Yellow-throated Vireo, Hermit Thrush, and Lincoln's Sparrow.

First bird of the year was Eastern Screech-Owl. Last bird of the day was Green Heron...

Carlos

Hi Penny,
Not being one for crowds I don't go anywhere much on new years day, (although I did see Bittern and cranes at Hickling) so I did my big watch on Wednesday. It wasn't well thought out except an idea that Titchwell was going to feature heavily.
(I'd not been to Titchwell for about 2 years, it's those crowds again!) Even without much forethought I reached 80 species including cracking views of 2 Common Buzzard, Bittern and twite, but I'm more fascinated by what I missed.
I couldn't find a song thrush, checked every partridge covey around Courtyard farm and they were all frenchmen, didn't even hear, let alone see a Great spotted woodpecker, and not until it was dark, did I realise that I hadn't seen long tailed tit.
Like you I got Fulmar at Hunston cliffs before going to see father for a well deserved cuppa, and had to add canada goose in the dark.
Still can't believe I didn't see long tailed tits, I had marsh tit, coal tit and nuthatch within 30 seconds of pulling into the carpark at Holt country park.
Lastly I arrived home to my daughter's news that we had had a Song Thrush in the garden, a new tick for the garden and Yes. you guessed it, another bird I missed.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back