• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

swarovision EL (1 Viewer)

I find the focus of my non-SV EL (2008 vintage) to be just a bit too fast. It's good to be able to focus from one distance to another fast but more difficult to get the last final tuning once you arrive at the destination. I tend to overshoot a little due to the fast focus and have to go back and forth a few times to get it right. A slower focus would be great for this.
Apparently there is no change in this deparment.

Six turns of the focus wheel - wow!

That is 2160 degrees you have to turn! This doesn't make sense to me, it's far beyond any slow focusing binocular I know.
I don't know the SV's, but if this is standard focusing speed - which I can't believe - I'll reconsider Canon 10x42 L IS's with their 800 degrees of focus range. I thought that was slow, 2.5 turns, but now I'm not so sure....

Best regards,

Ronald

Six turns of the focus wheel - wow!

Two and a half full turns on my Svs

and it seemed much like the Zeiss FL but with amazing field correction.

I purchased a Zeiss FL Lotutec 8 x 42 brand new in December 2006. Yes, vertical lines can appear very distorted, especially at the edge of the field of view.
I parted company with this binocular in May 2010 to help fund towards a 8.5 swarovision.

Things I miss about the FLs?
Smooth quick focus. [ one and a bit turns ]
Better CA correction than the SV
Brighter than the SV
Lighter in weight
Brilliant view even down to 2metres / no image overlap

Things I dont miss about the FLs.
Eye placement can be tricky to obtain the best view. [ I Always seemed to be adjusting the IPD or dioptre setting]
Eye cups too large and allow stray light to enter around the outer edges.
Drop off of sharpness towards the outer edge of the view.
Bending of fence posts, telegraph poles, corners of buildings etc.

Would I have them back to replace the swarovision?

NO WAY
I've just set the IPD and dioptre setting once and forget about them. The view is fantastic, the extra .5 magnification is a big difference. Focus is very smooth.

Abbot, you must mean, by "turns", six finger cranks, that's 0.41 cranks per revolution, probably about typical.

Scatcat, you certainly mean revolutions. I get the same thing on my 8x42 FL.

Either way, that's a lot of cranking on the SV for what, 2 feet closer? With focusing distance getting so very small, "non linear focus" is overdue. NEXT gen, maybe!
Ron

Afterthought:
Of course, a nonlinear focus would feel nonlinear. As the internal focusing lens was pushed along at a higher rate for close distances, it would feel heavy. I think I would like it though.

Last edited:
Six finger cranks is indeed what I mean Ron. One reason that this is an issue is that my focus wheel requires approximately double the pressure to turn to the right (towards infinity) than to the left (towards very close focus). This means that every time the wheel gets accidentally nudged it drifts off towards close focus. Its a pity its not the other way around, as that way it would always be close to the 5+ meter focal sweet-spot. Incidentally, does anyone know why these Swaro's (or indeed any bins) allow focusing beyond infinity? My pair allow almost 1/2 turn beyond infinity.

. Incidentally, does anyone know why these Swaro's (or indeed any bins) allow focusing beyond infinity? My pair allow almost 1/2 turn beyond infinity.

Focus past infinity is essential for those with myopia. I can use Swarovski EL as it has 6 diopters of overdrive past infinity and my eyeglasses are at -5.5D. So it works rather well but almost runs out of room. I hear Zeiss is better at 7 diopters of overdrive. Leica has only 4D of overdrive past infinity, not enough for me to use without eyeglasses.

Six finger cranks is indeed what I mean Ron. One reason that this is an issue is that my focus wheel requires approximately double the pressure to turn to the right (towards infinity) than to the left (towards very close focus). This means that every time the wheel gets accidentally nudged it drifts off towards close focus. Its a pity its not the other way around, as that way it would always be close to the 5+ meter focal sweet-spot. Incidentally, does anyone know why these Swaro's (or indeed any bins) allow focusing beyond infinity? My pair allow almost 1/2 turn beyond infinity.

Hey Abbott!

I'm glad you clarified the "finger cranks" vs. turns before I got on the phone to the Guinness World Records folks to tell them about the slowest binocular focuser ever made! :)

I feel your pain with the too fast focuser. That's how my first sample 8x32 HG was. I actually had to keep my finger on top of the focuser to keep it from getting accidentally nudged. Drove me nuts because I kept overshooting my targets! It also played havoc with my focus accommodation and I found myself fiddling with the diopter setting for different distances instead of "set and forget".

I read in the BF reviews of this bin that others found the focuser too fast, so I figured it was just the way it was, and that in order to enjoy the superb views, I would have to live with it, but I found I couldn't. So I sold the Toulouse-Lautrec HG.

I later read on a BF thread that all HG focusers were not created equal (this was day I learned to say the words "sample variation")! So I tried another sample, and viola! the focuser was still fast (1/2 turn from cf to 8) but precise. It stayed put after I focused.

The ironic thing about this SV EL fast focuser issue is that I found Swaro focusers in the two samples I tried (SLC and EL) to be a bit too stiff (particularly in one direction). I've also read others say the same thing about their Swaros. In fact, the EL I tried had a tight focuser. The problem wasn't that it moved accidentally, the problem was getting it to move without using two fingers!

So it appears that Swaro might also have some quality control issues when it comes to its focusers. Even though how fast is too fast is somewhat subjective, I suggest you solicit more opinions from other 10x42 SV EL owners and find out if your experience is typical.

If it's not, then ship 'em back and ask Swaro to do the "Tighten Up". If it is typical, then you have to decide whether this is something you can live with (or should have to live with, given their high cost) or if it's time to move on to some other bin that will give you spectacular views with a focuser that gets you on target both near and far at a pace you can deal with and keeps you on target.

There are other fish in the pond, even in the expensive exotic fish pond.

Costello

Thanks for the advice Costello. I think I'll go to a store to test a few other Swaro's out and if there does seem to be significant variation in focus feel I might send them back to see if Swarovski can tighten my pair. Given that no-one else on this thread has mentioned this there is a chance its unique to my bins.

I rather suspect though that I'm passed the point where I can give up the Swaro's for another species of binocular. The view through the glass really is hard to beat. Oddly enough I'm finding it hard to extract a vast amount of sympathy about my focussing woes from my friends and colleagues, who are giving me cold, calculated stares when I start bleating about it. As one of them put it 'Its nothing that a little bit of blue-tac can't solve'......

Thanks for the advice Costello. I think I'll go to a store to test a few other Swaro's out and if there does seem to be significant variation in focus feel I might send them back to see if Swarovski can tighten my pair. Given that no-one else on this thread has mentioned this there is a chance its unique to my bins.

I rather suspect though that I'm passed the point where I can give up the Swaro's for another species of binocular. The view through the glass really is hard to beat. Oddly enough I'm finding it hard to extract a vast amount of sympathy about my focussing woes from my friends and colleagues, who are giving me cold, calculated stares when I start bleating about it. As one of them put it 'Its nothing that a little bit of blue-tac can't solve'......

"Bud",

I wouldn't bother trying a "tacky" self fix that might later fail. Swarovski has the one of the best if not the best reputation for customer service and repairs of any optics company. They will either fix the problem or send you a new bin.

Glad to hear you otherwise really like the 10x42 SV EL. It's disappointing when you pay a bundle of money for a premium bin and it turns out to be not what you expected. Been there, done that.

Good Luck!

"Lou" :)

I've owned a pair of Swarovision 10 x 42 since June last and have nothing but praise for them. They are definately a considerable improvement on my old Leica BA's (though I would never part with them).
I'm relieved that none of the problems listed on this thread have manifested themselves with my new bins.

I'm off to Spain in April for a week's birding, so the Swaros will be put to good use there!

Richard

Well, I've had the 8.5 SV's for a couple days now and can only conclude they are the best I've ever seen. Simply stunning. Instant keepers.

Against the 8x SE, the Zeiss 8x32 FL and the Zen 8x43 ED2, the SV are simply brighter, with better color and contrast, a gorgeous view sharp and bright to the edge. The color is amazing: everything else including the Zeiss looks a little yellow by comparison. The focus on this sample anyway, is superb. Instantly my favorite of the lot. The focus is slower than the Zeiss at close distances, but at normal working distances it seems about the same. It has a perfectly solid, snug feel to it that just feels right. The Nikon focus is golden, as ever, but it is slow in this comparison.

I'll recuse myself from commenting much on the sharpness because my eyeglasses are a bit out of date. But from what I can tell, the SE is as close as anything can get. Pretty much a toss up. The Zeiss FL gives it a real run, too, but only in the sweet spot which, yet again, looks a bit small in this comparison.

Now, a gripe: this field case is a monster. I know lots of you like it, but put wheels on it and you've got a carry-on. I'm tempted just to order a Zen clamshell which is about half the bulk, but has anyone used this:

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binocular-accessories/swarovski/swarovski-42mm-el-42mm-slc-binocular-case

It looks nice and compact. Also, is Swarovski automatically sending out the revised eyecups upon registration or do you have to order them? With glasses, the 20mm ER is a bit too much for me and as I understand it the revised cups have an extra detent that solves that problem. The ones that came with it have 3 stops. Do the revised cups have 4?

Thanks for any advice,
Mark

I have that case sized for the 8x30SLC neu. My idea is that the binocular is hanging from my neck when in use and when in a case the case should be covered. I have this case in the original box and use another case to protect the binocular when not in use. I'm glad you like the Swarovision and glad you got a good price!!

I have that case sized for the 8x30SLC neu. My idea is that the binocular is hanging from my neck when in use and when in a case the case should be covered. I have this case in the original box and use another case to protect the binocular when not in use. I'm glad you like the Swarovision and glad you got a good price!!

Yeah, Steve, the price did it for me. Thanks again to all at BF (jgraider I guess originally caught the LL Bean deal, but Kevin also tipped us off).

I'll say this though: the SE doesn't give up much to the SV. It's every bit as sharp, possibly even a tiny bit sharper. The SE edges are softer but not a big deal. Eye placement is lots easier on the SV. No contest there. The SV also has less CA. But get both of them dialed in on a bird and the differences are not dramatic. If you want a razor-sharp view of a bird, either will do the trick. And to think I was going to sell the SE's to cover the SV's. Might still, but that will be a tough sell.

Mark

.....And to think I was going to sell the SE's to cover the SV's. Might still, but that will be a tough sell.

Mark

....The WOW factor for both bins (SE/SV) is as good as it gets and that's what it's all about.

Congrats, Mark, glad you´re enjoying the SV´s. I´ve been wrenching with the SE/SV issue for a while, and finally decide to lose the SE´s. The view is stunning, the light weight and 3D image a treat, but I don´t use them. The SV´s win because of the more comfortable view and larger oculars, and they are brighter in low light. The extra smidgin of mag gives me more resolution, and although I understand the SE´s to be "weather resistant" or something, the SV´s are waterproof. And add to that Swaro customer service. I don´t want to keep the SE´s just to take them out and admire them every once in a while, and they´re too good to keep as "garden binos". All that said, I think the two, as you and Pileatus said, are so superb, and so close optically, that it´s a very, very tough call.

Congrats, Mark, glad you´re enjoying the SV´s. I´ve been wrenching with the SE/SV issue for a while, and finally decide to lose the SE´s. The view is stunning, the light weight and 3D image a treat, but I don´t use them. The SV´s win because of the more comfortable view and larger oculars, and they are brighter in low light. The extra smidgin of mag gives me more resolution, and although I understand the SE´s to be "weather resistant" or something, the SV´s are waterproof. And add to that Swaro customer service. I don´t want to keep the SE´s just to take them out and admire them every once in a while, and they´re too good to keep as "garden binos". All that said, I think the two, as you and Pileatus said, are so superb, and so close optically, that it´s a very, very tough call.

Sancho,

Where did you lose the SE? I have a friend in Ireland who might be able to find it for me since you no longer have any use for it. Please send me the GPS coordinates. Thanks!

Brock

Swarovski rainguard?

Anyone know how I can get hold of the current design rainguard, the one that slopes down the edge at a slight angle to match the shape of the rubber armour around the occular lenses?

The one that was supplied with my used 8.5x42 Swarovision seems to be for the old EL, sent Swaro an email requesting one but they sent me one exactly the same as I already have ...ie an old EL design!!!!

Matt

The view is stunning, the light weight and 3D image a treat, but I don´t use them.

Yeah, I suspect that may soon be the plight of my beloved SE's. The SV's just do everything. Aside from a midsize and a compact for travel/hiking I could see using the SV for everything. In fact, I promised myself to sell off 3 bins when I ordered the Swaros (8x SE, Zen 8x43 ED2, Pentax 8x32 ED--all great bins, but why not just use the SV??). We'll see if I hold myself to it.

Hey, how 'bout those revised eyecups? How exactly do they differ from the originals?

Yeah, I suspect that may soon be the plight of my beloved SE's. The SV's just do everything. Aside from a midsize and a compact for travel/hiking I could see using the SV for everything. In fact, I promised myself to sell off 3 bins when I ordered the Swaros (8x SE, Zen 8x43 ED2, Pentax 8x32 ED--all great bins, but why not just use the SV??). We'll see if I hold myself to it.

Hey, how 'bout those revised eyecups? How exactly do they differ from the originals?

Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending how you see it and if you see "rolling ball"), it seems the "plight" of one of the last of its kind, the venerable Nikon SE, is being threatened into extinction by the evolution of two new species of roofosaurs - the SV EL and the EDG.

The EDG gives the closest view to the SE I've seen in a roof. The 8x42 EDG could end up being the "8x42 SE" that many people have asked for over the years.

The Age of Roofannosaurus Rex is upon us. Porromaniacs take shelter in the caves! After the extinction event is over, we can visit mummified porros in Fan Tao's Binocular Museum.

http://binofan.co.cc/bino/index.htm

Brock

Last edited:
Matt. The part number of the rainguard of my 10x42 SVs is 678-0288 and on my 10x42 ELs is 659-0278,at least that's what is stamped on them. To be honest i cannot see much difference between them.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back