• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EL Range 8x42 info wanted (2 Viewers)

dice

Belgium
As the title says
Looking for info, specs, reviews, good vs bad, opinions,... anything about the 2011 EL Range 8x42.

Is this the same as an EL 8x42 with just the range tool as extra?
Does this bino come with swarovision?
Field of view at 1000m?

There's a TA and a WB version of the EL Range 8x42 to make things more complicated.

Thanks

The original EL Range which would be that year range were absolutely terrible, as were the revision. The glass absolutely sucks in them. I had the gen 2 of them in 10x42 and they do not compare to the standard EL at all. The overall image quality isn’t there, there isn’t field flattening, and there’s a huge difference in the tint between the barrels.

I have a pair of 2022 EL Range TA’s now and they’re excellent. You can’t tell a difference between the barrels, has field flattening, and they give up nothing in image quality to EL’s and NL’s.

Redneckbmxer24, post 3,
We have investigated the Swarorange 8x42 and 10x42 in 2012, see the WEB-site of House of Outdoor and we can not confirm any of your statements. The transmission spectra of both left and right barrels are practically identical and transmission values are high for a rangefinder binocular. Moreover there is no difference in color reproduction between both barrels as one can also see from the practically overlapping transmission spectra for left and right hand barrels.
Gijs van Ginkel

I don’t really care what you “investigated”, I spent my hard earned money on a new pair of them in 2016 and they completely sucked and yes there was a noticeable difference in the colors between the two barrels and I’m not the only one who has owned them and had the same complaints. It was an extremely disappointing purchase and one I lost over $1K on after they set on the shelf long enough that I finally decided to just take the hit. I owned EL 10x42’s at the same time that absolutely blew them away so I can say with 100% certainty that they do no have spectacular glass and that they are noticeably inferior to the non range EL’s.

Well Redneckbmxer24, post 6,
Strong words and almost insultig by stating "investigated"but you do not explain why in our sample there is no difference in color reproduction between both barrels and you state very strongly that there is.
In our case I rely on two observations:
-1- comparison by eye between both barrels and
-2- comparison of the transmission spectra of both barrels.
As you undoubtedly know companies use their measured transmission spectra to determine:
  • brightness of their binoculars and
  • color reproduction of their binoculars
Observation under 2 is very convincing since it cancels the differences in spectral sensitivity of the eyes of the observers.
Gijs van Ginkel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back