• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kay optical? (1 Viewer)

Bryce, I have never bought from them simply because they haven't yet had anything that I've wanted. The owner is a sole-trader, the business is registered as a limited company. Long established (1962), on the net since 1999. However their terms state that they only deliver to UK addresses.

Last edited:
I have bought twice from them, the first time about 15 years ago. 2nd time a few months back. Bought from the shop both times. Both times I have come out with what I believe was a pretty good (used) deal.

The person who dealt with me was very knowledgeable, not forceful, and had a good range of optics for me to compare.

. They are actually a very old firm.
I think that the original owner now is on the south coast of Britain and has been an expert repairer of all manner of optics including completely refurbishing World War II instruments etc to the highest standards. But now may be getting elderly.
I think that a younger relative now runs the original firm in south London.

About 30 years ago they refurbished six very heavy boxed 10×80 Ross binoculars, World War II, for my friend and myself.

I do not know the standards of repair nowadays, but they still probably have very good workmanship.
I find that their prices are a bit high but I would have no hesitation in buying from them.

I visited the firm many times in the old days.

P.S.
Optrep of West Sussex seem to still be operating with Mr Kay (senior) still working with others on repairs that come in from all over the world.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses, I'm not seeing any currency converted so I guess they don't ship internationally?

And as of yet haven't replied to an email attempt but, my search is ongoing.

Bryce...

I can provide the other side to the coin.

I sent a Kowa 883 in for repair around the end of January begining of February, they were the quickest to respond to my email requests sent to different establishments so I gave them the work.

Despite asking them to confirm receiving the scope (sent RMSD) it took 2 weeks for them to answer emails, finally admitting they had recieved the scope and were waiting for a responce from Kowa.
I left it for a few weeks before contacting and again they took several weeks before replying to my query as to the progress (6 weeks form their last comunication).
The update was to say that they could not get in touch with Kowa and had formulated their own plan for repair and they would need more time.
I sent an email back quickly asking for an account of what the works would entail and an estimation of the price, this was about 4 - 5 months ago and I have not as yet recieved a reply regardless of several emails sent.
The last email I sent was rather strongly worded providing an ultimatum basically to either finally give me an idea of the cost of a repair or to send the scope back to myself........I got no reply.

At the moment it looks like I'll have to go to London and get the scope back that way.

So from my experience I could not advise anyone to deal with this company as they have no concept of customer service.

This company has already been discussed at length in a thread entitled "Kay Optical a shop to avoid." The title is perhaps misleading as there is a range of comments.

I don't personally have any axe to grind and have bought from them in the past but at the lower end of the market. I'm not sure I'd use them for top of the range optics.

Dave W

Any UK members have opinions one way or the other?

Apparently have something I want and would like some input.

Bryce...

Well, I'm glad you didn't say something I "need." ;)

They usually have a good selection of used bins.

So which is it? The 7x42 FL or Dialyt? Like to have the latter. Oldest member of my Wish List.

Brock

I think the work they carry out is considered good and they sell quality items, although as Binastro said, I think they are a bit pricey. I emailed them regarding servicing a binocular of mine, but never got any response, so I ended up doing it myself. I think it is probably ok if you are able to go to their shop, but otherwise you may well have difficulties.

I sent a Kowa 883 in for repair around the end of January begining of February, they were the quickest to respond to my email requests sent to different establishments so I gave them the work.

Despite asking them to confirm receiving the scope (sent RMSD) it took 2 weeks for them to answer emails, finally admitting they had recieved the scope and were waiting for a responce from Kowa.
I left it for a few weeks before contacting and again they took several weeks before replying to my query as to the progress (6 weeks form their last comunication).
The update was to say that they could not get in touch with Kowa and had formulated their own plan for repair and they would need more time.
I sent an email back quickly asking for an account of what the works would entail and an estimation of the price, this was about 4 - 5 months ago and I have not as yet recieved a reply regardless of several emails sent.
The last email I sent was rather strongly worded providing an ultimatum basically to either finally give me an idea of the cost of a repair or to send the scope back to myself........I got no reply.

At the moment it looks like I'll have to go to London and get the scope back that way.

So from my experience I could not advise anyone to deal with this company as they have no concept of customer service.

Tony Kay junior runs the London shop. Tony Kay senior does the servicing and he is based in sussex. Make sure you find out where the scope is.

Why didn't you pick up the phone?

Why didn't you pick up the phone?

It appears many people have lost the ability to communicate in any way other than emails. A friend of mine was looking for a new salesman for an open territory in his company. He told me he thought most of the new applicants would have preferred to do the job interview via email.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back