• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ringing and satellite tracking (1 Viewer)

KezN

I was reading a book recently where the author mentioned finding a swallow caught by the ring on its leg. It got me thinking about the issue of ringing and I was wondering how many reports, if any, there have been about such problems occurring. I was also wondering about the satellite tagging of the ospreys and wondered if there had been any reports of such issues with these tags. Also are the birds stuck with the satellite for life?

Thanks
Kerry

If you look on Google scholar you will find a lot of literature on the problems tags, bands etc may have on things like breeding success, chick survival and foraging trips. Some tags are attached for life and some are attached to feathers which are shed when the birds malt, it depends on the data you want and the size of the bird.

The debate surrounding pros and cons of ringing gets quite heated, which is possibly why no one has replied here.

My opinion is (I am an ecological researcher): we all risk harming our study species (e.g birds, plants invertebrates etc) either directly or indirectly. Our responsibility is to report it and warn others of possible problems.

I have only helped, on occasion, with ringing. I will not say there haven't been problems with one bird dying as a result. In each case where the bird didn't respond or leave in a 'normal' manner e.g. left on foot, damaged feathers or had a lengthy rest before leaving notes were taken.
I assume that this is then recorded either to get an idea of problem rates or to see if the bird is recaptured at a later date in a healthy state. Whether this is kept for personal use of the ringer or made available on a regional or national basis I don't know.
It certainly does raise the question - is it worth it? Does the scientific information outway the 'odd' loss or any loss? The information regarding weight sizes etc. is useful but the beauty is the recovery information - where birds came from and where they go etc. Satelites do the same thing but on an instant basis - you know where the bird is at any given time. The batteries are not indefinate though and unless someone recaptures the bird to physically remove or replace batteries the satelite is there for life.
Both ringing and satelite tracking has given us very important info regarding migration routes, breeding and wintering grounds. Provided this information is used in the proper protection of a species or habitat then it has to be a positive thing - sad that any losses do occur...

Last edited:
If you look on Google scholar you will find a lot of literature on the problems tags, bands etc may have on things like breeding success, chick survival and foraging trips. Some tags are attached for life and some are attached to feathers which are shed when the birds malt, it depends on the data you want and the size of the bird.

The debate surrounding pros and cons of ringing gets quite heated, which is possibly why no one has replied here.

My opinion is (I am an ecological researcher): we all risk harming our study species (e.g birds, plants invertebrates etc) either directly or indirectly. Our responsibility is to report it and warn others of possible problems.

Thank you for your response and pointing me in the right direction. I had searched google and not find anything mentioning problems. I will have a look on google scholar.

I have only helped, on occasion, with ringing. I will not say there haven't been problems with one bird dying as a result. In each case where the bird didn't respond or leave in a 'normal' manner e.g. left on foot, damaged feathers or had a lengthy rest before leaving notes were taken.
I assume that this is then recorded either to get an idea of problem rates or to see if the bird is recaptured at a later date in a healthy state. Whether this is kept for personal use of the ringer or made available on a regional or national basis I don't know.
It certainly does raise the question - is it worth it? Does the scientific information outway the 'odd' loss or any loss? The information regarding weight sizes etc. is useful but the beauty is the recovery information - where birds came from and where they go etc. Satelites do the same thing but on an instant basis - you know where the bird is at any given time. The batteries are not indefinate though and unless someone recaptures the bird to physically remove or replace batteries the satelite is there for life.
Both ringing and satelite tracking has given us very important info regarding migration routes, breeding and wintering grounds. Provided this information is used in the proper protection of a species or habitat then it has to be a positive thing - sad that any losses do occur...

Thank you for your input. I had been wondering about satellite tracked ospreys and them not making it. The thought of them being stuck with the satellite for life isn't a pleasant thought.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back