• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2017 Western Palearctic Big Year (2 Viewers)

Pale Martin
African Grey Woodpecker
Grey-tailed Tattler
Black Heron
Pied Crow
Long-toed Stint
Bateleur
Pacific Diver
Snowy Egret
Elegant Tern
White-winged Scoter
American Redstart

All the best

The alternative list would be to use the Netfugl blockers list and compare what they have seen to this. It is imperfect of course but on that basis the list would be

African Grey Woodpecker (#40)
Blue naped Mousebird (#51)
Golden Nightjar (#91)
Reed Cormorant (#92)
Yellow Bittern (#94)
Bateleur (#99)
Long-tailed Rosefinch (#125)

Of course the list doesn't recognise some of the "species" on their list eg White-breasted Cormorant, Black-headed Penduline Tit and probably more

Monteiros SP, Grey-tailed tattler, Grey-hooded Gull, Saunder's tern, Oriental Cuckoo, White-winged Lark, Ruppells Weaver are all "ranked" above American Redstart. Pied Crow is even further down the list, as are the Herons and the Diver.

Makes interesting comparison, and illustrates I guess a mix of number of occurrences and ease of connecting.

It counts one as with the American Redstart:-

http://www.bigyearwp.com/index.php/igoterra-ticks/

Sooty Shearwaters around and an American Golden Plover on the Scillies is all that I currently know about today though I expect they're probably trying for the Lewis one last seen on Friday afternoon.

All the best

28 Sooty Shears past the Butt on Friday, so well worth a punt, and it's so bracing there, good for the health! Re the AGP on Lewis, I don't think it's been reported since Friday afternoon when it flew off.

Hopefully they are off the Western Isles today and getting positioned further south with PG Tips in the Netherlands and Norfolk? Seawatch in Northumberland in the morning. If nothing happens Scillies day trip later in the week?

All the best

I was quite surprised that they haven't Pallas's grasshopper warbler on their list yet (thought they had it in the Urals). Shouldn't they go for it? Or is it already gone?

I was quite surprised that they haven't Pallas's grasshopper warbler on their list yet (thought they had it in the Urals). Shouldn't they go for it? Or is it already gone?

Daniel

As far as I am aware, only a vagrant to the WP. But probably c100 records. If I was them, I would be doing so if they are now off the Western Isles though it wouldn't surprise me if they are not off till tomorrow. They could travel part way and see what tomorrow morning's news brings.

All the best

Hmm, looking at the forecast of Hurricane Jose, I wouldn't be surprised if the remnants hit western Ireland or Scillies next week and which could bring some goodies with it. Maybe an idea for the team to consider heading towards Cape Clear or Mizen Head in Ireland if that is the case?

PG Tips with only one report today & no sign since; brief Dusky Warbler in Kent is a good sign; Black-billed Cuckoo on Shetland is now the biggest WP rare available; & Forster's Tern is on again today.

All the best

Last edited:
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back