• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

It's arrived! (1 Viewer)

Aegea

My new scope, that is, a used Orion 80ED. Fortunately I was off work today when it came so I have been able to play with it a little. So far, I'm impressed - both with the size (this thing is a beast compared to my Nikon 300 f/4!) but also with the optical quality.

Luckily I had an extension tube that fit, so I slapped that and a T-mount on it, and took some test shots. Then I reshot with the Nikon and a 2x teleconverter using the same exposure, etc., just to get a rough comparison. I took the best of three in each case, but I found the Orion easier to handle and I think I may have missed focus on the Nikon (which just shows the Orion is easier to focus, I suppose). The IQ of the Orion completely blows the Nikon + TC combination away. It is amazingly better. Here are two 100% crops of the target (a $1 bill) from near the center of the field, with the Orion first.

I'm also attaching a shot of the beast on my tripod. I am going to need a better tripod ...

Attachments

• O600 crop 3916.JPG
    O600 crop 3916.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 143
  • N300 f4 2x crop 3923.JPG
    N300 f4 2x crop 3923.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 134
  • O80ED scaled 771.JPG
    O80ED scaled 771.JPG
    192.2 KB · Views: 166
My new scope, that is, a used Orion 80ED. Fortunately I was off work today when it came so I have been able to play with it a little. So far, I'm impressed - both with the size (this thing is a beast compared to my Nikon 300 f/4!) but also with the optical quality.

Luckily I had an extension tube that fit, so I slapped that and a T-mount on it, and took some test shots. Then I reshot with the Nikon and a 2x teleconverter using the same exposure, etc., just to get a rough comparison. I took the best of three in each case, but I found the Orion easier to handle and I think I may have missed focus on the Nikon (which just shows the Orion is easier to focus, I suppose). The IQ of the Orion completely blows the Nikon + TC combination away. It is amazingly better. Here are two 100% crops of the target (a $1 bill) from near the center of the field, with the Orion first.

I'm also attaching a shot of the beast on my tripod. I am going to need a better tripod ...

Congratulations on your new born baby..... Something I just found out yesterday. You have a 2"-1.25" reducer like mine. The machined interior may produce a lot of stray lights. Try peeping through your extension tube without the camera, point at some strong light and see what you get. That $1 bill may turn out to be worth more LOL.

I am glad you like it so far. That scope does look a little big on that tripod.;) BTW I have the bigger brother to this one the 100ED and love it.

You have a 2"-1.25" reducer like mine. The machined interior may produce a lot of stray lights. Try peeping through your extension tube without the camera, point at some strong light and see what you get. That $1 bill may turn out to be worth more LOL.

Thanks for the tip. The contrast does seem lower than the Nikon lens, so I'll check it out.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back