• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Views From and Of Our Studio Spaces (2 Viewers)

colleenc

Just got this idea off of some posts on My Pics 2010 thread.....thought it might be fun to see where each of us make our art

here's mine, my studio space has no window in it so this is the view from the nearest window, and my workplace is sort of cluttered and messy compared to Arthur's. The view includes the 70 year old bay tree that shades my cottage, and the pasture right outside to the cedar trees that line the property edge. I live in a cottage on 37 acres of what was once an dairy farm, bordering a laguna.

Post yours in a working state, no fair cleaning up:-O

Attachments

• studio space_2161.jpg
    studio space_2161.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 87
  • studio windo view.jpg
    studio windo view.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 75
I envy those of you with spectacular views out your window. I know that the lack of this is one of the big prices I pay for living in the city.

Here the best I can do is a garden in our small backyard. Wish we got something more exciting than the two catbirds that recently showed up to eat our blueberries but here catbirds are nearing the top of exoticism.

That's the view in the back. My studio is in front on second floor and the view there is just a failry busy street, houses with very small yards,some trees, and, at least a bit of sky. The studio itself in only about 9x9 feet. On the left you can see stacks of my old abstract oil paintings. There was no room anywhere else to put them.

I normally work either sitting at the small table, or standing at the table to the right of it. If I ever take up oil painting again who knows what I'll do. I just don't see the room to do it here. But necessity is the mother of invention.

Attachments

• backyard061210.jpg
    backyard061210.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 62
  • studio061210.jpg
    studio061210.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 73
Colleen,

Apologies!

Have no flash on my camera phone. So it'll have to wait until daylight...

Until then, here's a shot of the exterior.

Not bad eh? B :);)

Attachments

• my apartment.jpg
    my apartment.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Ken - there's nothing too wrong with a back yard that can attract two Catbirds! Here's view inside my studio--looks wierd as I was up on a stair looking slightly down on things.

And a view from my west window--the water in the distance is a National Wildlife Refuge.
The view out this window and two others is very nice and often very distracting! I can easily be lured into watching birds out the window instead of painting them!

Sid

Attachments

• Studio 1.jpg
    Studio 1.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 72
  • View from studio 2.jpg
    View from studio 2.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 65
A nice idea Colleen!

Pic's of a couple of views taken from my dwelling appear on my thread already...[the magpie sheltering from rain...and the woodpigeon shots]...but i may post another pic here yet..!

Beautiful view from Sid's place...and as i was viewing the scenery i was mildly intrigued as to the identity of the bird species flying in left of picture..a swift of some sort perhaps? [Irrelevant of course but i'm curious]...:smoke:

ps...the pic of the exterior of Phil's place made me laugh i have to admit....;)

It's a bit flatter where I live on the North Norfolk coast Sid.
It's only this tidy because I cleared the mess up after the Barnie pic.
I get distracted out of the window too, The beach and sea is a 10 min. walk the other way.

Attachments

• L1220170.jpg
    L1220170.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 81
  • L1220212.jpg
    L1220212.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 64
The rolling hills remind me a bit of Kentucky Arthur. Though it wasn't high on cultural amenities I think I liked the scenery better than any place I've ever lived, and I have lived in some beautiful places. There was just something so calming about it.

User: Didn't even notice the bird until you pointed it out! Can't tell for sure, but it's probably a Black-billed Magpie. We have a nest in the back yard pine tree and adults and young are everywhere just now--and noisy too.

I have a hobby of taking photos of the inside of bins (usually when drunk) I just put the camera inside, press the button and then admire the randomness of it all. These photos are not part of that series!

Hopefully I'll be moving to a new creative space rather soon - our new neighbour next door has just told the strange neighbour upstairs that he's going to burn him alive! :eek!: He seems calmer now.

Glad I did have a little tidy up earlier - there's only one beer bottle visible now!

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 64
Nick - Your studio looks fine to me. I think I use the same filing system as you. Just pile it up, you might need it tomorrow. Works for me and, obviously from the quality of your work, for you too.

Nice idea Colleen, lot of creative spaces on this thread.
Here are some more pics. My studio at his best when I rented the house (I won't dare to show you the messy think it's now). And some views of the outside: the dramatic sunsets we've got sometimes (in the style "war of the worlds"), the house from the outside and the storks on the church of the nearby village.

Attachments

• Studio.jpg
    Studio.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 62
  • House.jpg
    House.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Sundawn.jpg
    Sundawn.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 56
  • Storks.jpg
    Storks.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 48
Plenty of spaces and views to be envious of here!

My 'studio' is the conservatory, which my good lady insists is put back to being a living space after every session I have in there. The 'studio' then is basically portable and packable but it does for me (for now). The view is not very inspiring either, just my inadequate little garden with its gazebo, salad pots, washing line and feeders. To the right are mature silver birch trees and from the left windows I can see down to the Medway estuary so I get a reasonable number of avian visitors to distract me. None of it's ideal but it's good enough when I'm 'in the zone'.

Oh yeah, you get a sneak preview of the current project on the easel.

Mike

Attachments

• studio.jpg
    studio.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 67
  • view.jpg
    view.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 58
Juan gets a prize for space, and the church seems otherworldly to me like a book on European history.

I don't think Nicks is quite as messy as mine but only because he has more space to pile stuff in, it's great to see the actual size of some of his work in scale there.

That's hard Mike to keep picking up but I'm sure it sharpens the focus and the new one is looking fab.

I'm beginning to feel I'm lucky that in the 6x8' space of my "studio" I can in 2 min be set up for pastel, oil, watercolor or drawing, on the same table on the other hand I can leave it out all the time....necessity is the mother of invention, don't know how I worked that out, but sometimes wish I could do larger works, maybe in the summer when I can work outside I'll try a bigger piece.

I'm still amazed at all the variety all over the world....

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back