• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Distortion and Glare in the Swarovski 8x32 EL Swarovision (1 Viewer)

:-O

I'm not planning on buying a high end Swaro or a Zeiss. I really did like the Leica 8X32 ultravid HD I played around with the other day, I just didnt like it enough to spend $2,000.

That's a lot of money for a 8x32 UHD.... The green models are currently on sale at my local store for 1199€ Fantastic bin, and I really like the green color|=)|

Sounds like Swaro has some issues that need to be worked out before I buy one. 3:)

I'm sorry, I couldnt help myself. :-C
They may have some issues but at the end of the day they are the best 8x32 birding binocular in the world and you know deep deep down inside you reaaaaaaly want one.

They may have some issues but at the end of the day they are the best 8x32 birding binocular in the world and you know deep deep down inside you reaaaaaaly want one.

Actually no, binoculars are pretty low on my list of wants. I havent found the Conquest lacking in any way (and they dont have a glare problem)

Holger,

Just catching up. Thanks for your detailed reply. Very interesting to know that the 5-10% figures that were being quoted here repeatedly were not from the "Drs" at Zeiss but from informal gatherings which took place a long time ago when Herr Dobler was still working with Swarovski, and that Dobler has no data to support those numbers.

The fact that Swaro underestimated the number susceptible to RB explains the number of people reporting RB in the first generation of SV ELs and why Swarovski is now backpedaling from its initial design and adding more pincushion to the SV EL line, which makes me wonder if the biggest difference in the new ProField SV ELs is not advertized - more pincushion in all models?

After looking at the histogram, I see how you derived your 30% guesstimate. I also took that test but never sent you the results because my dad got sick, went into the hospital for 11 days, and we had home healthcare workers coming in for months afterward while he recovered, and by that time, you had completed your study. But had I sent in my results, you would have had another data point of RB susceptibility to add to the graph.

The odd thing is that when Dobler led the design team that made the Zeiss SF he still thought that RB affected only 5-10%, as he told Lee, so it surprises me that the would go back to that sample group from years back and use them as "guinea pigs" to find the best balance between PC and AMD. Here's what he said to Lee:

We found a good balance between these different things and especially in the control of the so-called rolling ball or globus effect that affects between 5 and 10% of people. We contacted some of these people and asked them to try different binoculars having different levels of field-flattening and we came up with a value that gave the best balance between field flatness and control of the globus effect. This means SF is not quite so flat-field at the very edge but it is nearly so, and from what those people told us almost everybody should be able to enjoy SF without noticing any globus effect.

I can see how Jerry thought he was speaking about a recent study since they used feedback from that group to design the SF.

But some still do see RB in the 8x42 SF, and that can be explained by the distortion pattern rather than the amount of pincushion. As you noted, it's not a simple matter of the k-value with the SV ELs because of its "mustache" distortion pattern but rather how much it dips at the edges that can create the globe effect in some individuals. Apparently, the distortion pattern in the 8x42 SF also causes some people to experience RB.

Brock

Brock

Here's a thought for you to chew on.

Gerry Dobler said that between 5 - 10% of people were affected by RB. Notice the word affected. He didn't say that 5-10% of people see RB.

It seems likely he was referring to those people who not only see RB but who cannot adapt to it or tolerate it, since these are the people who are affected by it. Those who don't see it or who can adapt to it / ignore it / tolerate it aren't affected by it.

If this interpretation is correct (and I will ask Herr Dobler about this at Bird Fair) then we have two figures to consider:

Holger's estimate of 30% of people who see the globus effect.
Dobler's estimate of 5-10% of people who cannot adapt to it or tolerate it.

These figures don't seem incompatible.

Lee

Brock

Gerry Dobler said that between 5 - 10% of people were affected by RB. Notice the word affected. He didn't say that 5-10% of people see RB.

It seems likely he was referring to those people who not only see RB but who cannot adapt to it or tolerate it, since these are the people who are affected by it. Those who don't see it or who can adapt to it / ignore it / tolerate it aren't affected by it.

If this interpretation is correct (and I will ask Herr Dobler about this at Bird Fair) then we have two figures to consider:

Lee

Yes, Lee, that would make sense, thanks for clarification.

Cheers,
Holger

Brock

Lee
Key word: estimate. Actually, they have no idea what the real numbers are.

Key word: estimate. Actually, they have no idea what the real numbers are.

Thats a fair comment Pilly and I did use the word 'estimate' for this reason.
But there is a key difference between the Dobler/Holger estimates and some other 'estimates' or comments on the possible extent of the issue and that is that neither Dobler nor Holger have any other agenda than trying to get a feel for the truth.
Lee

Last edited:
Brock

Lee

Those figures actually "seem" a bit low to me based on my circle of friends who have used the SV. Most of us are affected by RB in one measure or another. Me, I find it intolerable.

Like the eyeglass "Progressive Lenses" some can adapt and tolerate the "discomfort", some of us cannot or will not (there are other choices, why bother?).

At the end of the day I think the edge-to-edge clarity of the SV is an unnecessary, unnatural gimmick, and one pushing binocular design in the exact wrong direction.

But for Swaro fans there is always the excellent SLC line which are certainly more accommodating to my eyes than the SV's.

Those figures actually "seem" a bit low to me based on my circle of friends who have used the SV. Most of us are affected by RB in one measure or another. Me, I find it intolerable.

Like the eyeglass "Progressive Lenses" some can adapt and tolerate the "discomfort", some of us cannot or will not (there are other choices, why bother?).

At the end of the day I think the edge-to-edge clarity of the SV is an unnecessary, unnatural gimmick, and one pushing binocular design in the exact wrong direction.

But for Swaro fans there is always the excellent SLC line which are certainly more accommodating to my eyes than the SV's.

Hi Mac

Long time, no speak, nice to see you drop by :t:

Sounds like most of your pals see RB but how many can't adapt/tolerate?

Me? I don't see RB at all, and BTW I have worn progressive or what we call 'vari-focal' glasses for years and never noticed anything adverse. The only time I tried bi-focals I soon gave up because I couldn't see my computer screen or car dashboard.

I wouldn't call edge to edge sharpness a gimmick exactly but what do I know when I am an image centering guy and find looking at the edge of FOV decidedly uncomfortable.

SLCs are nice bins for sure and its a shame they are overshadowed in some folks' eyes by ELs. Same goes for Zeiss HTs now that SF is out there.

Lee

Lee,

Do you typically wear your vari-focals when viewing with binoculars, or do you prefer to view without glasses?

Just curious.

Kimmo

I switched to progressives and never looked back, no discomfort what so ever. But I'm not doubting they didnt gee haw with you. Some folks dont get along with them, I guess just like CA or rolling balls

Lee,

Do you typically wear your vari-focals when viewing with binoculars, or do you prefer to view without glasses?

Just curious.

Kimmo

Hej Kimmo

'Just curious' ? No you're not ;)
You are always curious for a reason :smoke:

Lee

Lee,

Hej is for Swedes, but I'll forgive you.

Your suspicion of my motives has provided me with an answer to my innocent question. Thanks.

Kimmo

Lee,

Hej is for Swedes, but I'll forgive you.

Your suspicion of my motives has provided me with an answer to my innocent question. Thanks.

Kimmo

Yo Kimmo

By suspicion I suppose you mean my innocent curiosity about your curiosity ;)

In the meantime I have been able to prepare an answer. See the picture below which took some time to find and which which I have had to reduce in file size due to the limit imposed by this forum.

My spectacles are the first item of 'clothing' I put on in the morning and they are the last thing I take off at bedtime.

I have worn varifocals for more than 40 years and wouldn't go anywhere without wearing them.

Best wishes Lee

Attachments

• Islay_2014_Oct_8074.jpg
    Islay_2014_Oct_8074.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
Lee,

Just curious.

Kimmo

I will say, in my case I wear the progressives when viewing. In general I dont think they help my view any, but neither do they hinder it to a degree I would worry about. I think they do degrade edge clarity a bit but it's not an issue for me. I own 4 pr of progressives, some work better than others for binoculars.

As to a preference of viewing with or without, depends on the binoculars. In glasses with about 20mm plus of eye relief I find glasses make the viewing easier, with tighter than 16 or so, they are a pain.

Yo Kimmo

By suspicion I suppose you mean my innocent curiosity about your curiosity ;)

In the meantime I have been able to prepare an answer. See the picture below which took some time to find and which which I have had to reduce in file size due to the limit imposed by this forum.

My spectacles are the first item of 'clothing' I put on in the morning and they are the last thing I take off at bedtime.

I have worn varifocals for more than 40 years and wouldn't go anywhere without wearing them.

Best wishes Lee

What a handsome lad indeed, for a second there I thought I was looking at Tom Selleck!

Lee,

Nice picture! Just as sunny as we have had for most of the summer. Now that summer is almost over for us, it is finally warm and clear.

I didn't need glasses myself until in my mid-to-late forties. I have always been farsighted, but until then accommodation allowed me to focus. So, first I got reading glasses and then varifocals after I could no longer attain infinity focus without positive correction. However, for birding and other outdoor activities, as well as for sunglasses, I have bifocals, as I found the field of sharp view of the varifocals excessively restricted. For binocular and telescope viewing, I take even these off since I get a better image without them. This is possible since fortunately I have almost no astigmatism. I have considered contacts to avoid the hassle of taking glasses off and putting them on again, but haven't tried them yet.

But I still remember longingly how nice birding was when no glasses were needed. Those were the days…

Kimmo

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back