• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Veiling glare: a bird club's unanimous verdict on my 8x32 EL FP (1 Viewer)

Im not sure, but, if I were there for that pic. I would take my binos down and ask myself if I was seeing these same light beams coming off the sun. If I did, thats mother nature's glare, not a product of my bino, to my mind. And I wonder if this is not the issue with the subject of glare. Do we all agree with what it is? I suspect not... Words on a computer screen arent enough.
Well said

James:

I guess it’s a bit like reinventing the wheel and is exasperating to those of you who are longtime forum members……

Last edited:
When I was using a Nikon Venturer LX 10X42, I didn’t even know that veiling glare existed.

When I switched to a Swarovski EL SV 10X42, I learned about veiling glare and rolling ball

Neither is really a problem in my current Zeiss SF 8X32.

I guess I have resurrected a defunct thread.

Nice wide spectacular view.

Perhaps I'm wrong and someone knowledgable can correct me, but what you call a "slight loss of contrast,' I'd call obvious glare that occupies about 50% of the photo.
The photo only shows the position of the sun, it was not taken with binoculars, I only used the (rather dirty) lens of the smartphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back