• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sightron "Blue Sky" II 8x32 (4 Viewers)

The Viper 8x32 is awesome glass, you made a good choice. Smaller package, lighter weight, MUCH bigger field of view, dielectric prism coatings, Vortex's best multicoatings, etc. . Those RM SIII appear to be a discontinued older model (thus the blowout pricing) and I'm sure the centerfield optics are fine, but IMO they're probably outdated a bit with their extremely narrow FOV relative to the market.

Hi All,

Funny this popped up as I just ordered one over the weekend. Started reading this thread yesterday evening to see what I am in for. Only made it part way, then tired and decided to call it a night. I can see this thread is keeping Brock awake at night ... so I'm posting mostly to keep him tossing and turning.. and rolling!!!

There is a coupon code for 5% off when ordering from optics planet, PM if you want it.

I'm not a fan of 8x binoculars but figured for those rare times I'll use one it would be nice to have a good one around without having to have a bunch of dinero into it.

Your comment above fits my Eaglet and Meostar... hoping this one follows along.

Thanks bunches,

CG

... You are saling your Sightron ? I saw it on the SALES section ! Why did-you sale it ? ;)

Reply from Sightron Tech

As always, Sightron CS has been great. This is the reply I got from the question I submitted yesterday.

Mr. Lee,

The SIII RM series has been discontinued. Both of these models are great just each one has an advantage over the other. The RM’s are much brighter due to better coatings, polishing of the glass and bigger objective. The eyecups are pull up (which is the old style), FOV is 325 yds. @ 1000 yds., with a 5.25 exit pupil diameter, 23.0 oz…

The SIIBL832 has twist up eyecups, FOV 420 yds. @ 1000 yds., with a 4.0 exit pupil diameter, 19.8 oz…

I personally use the SIIBL832 and love them as an all-around Bino for the money. The ergonomics are great for easy use, very durable design and great resolution and clarity for price.

Both models offer BAK4 Phase coated prisms. We do not offer a Bino with aspherical lenses at this time.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Stephen Glenn
Sightron, Inc.
100 Jeffrey Way
Suite A
Youngsville, NC 27596

Soap box

I get aggrivated with posters that that dismiss certain manufacturers as inferior, or assume that the CS or warranty will be lacking because they have no personal knowledge of the company. There are several consumer groups for optics (hunting, astronomy, military, photography, medical, etc.), with each segment being more familar with certain manufacturers than others. As consumers, there is much to be gained by familarizing ourselves with the opinions of users from each of these other groups when considering a "new to us" company.
Some exapmles. Fujinon is well established, but most people in this community are not aware that they are held in high regard among the amature atronomy market, or that they produce some of the best coatings in the world for their commercial microscopes and other lenses. This all makes it's way into their consumer products. A couple of years ago, they produced a rifle scope with some of the best glass I have ever seen, but it never caught on because shooters weren't familar with the product. Likewise, Burris and Sightron, which are well established with hunters, get dismissed as knockoffs by bird watchers. And just a few years ago, hunters were afraid to give Vortex scopes a try.
This rant should probably be in another thread, but I just read this whole thread in the last few days, so some of the comments were fresh in my mind.

The SIIBL832 has twist up eyecups, FOV 420 yds. @ 1000 yds., with a 4.0 exit pupil diameter, 19.8 oz…

It is amusing how so often even the company itself can't get its specs straight. The SIIBL832 is both lighter and has a narrower FOV than he quoted (giving him a pass for the 420 yards vs. feet slip up). He obviously pulled those specs from the website: http://info.sightron.com/Binoculars/SII-Blue-Sky-Series-/SIIBL832/

... You are saling your Sightron ? I saw it on the SALES section ! Why did-you sale it ? ;)

Hi DadraFromFrance,

Yes I did list them.; you are very observant. I am finding that I am very biased to 7x magnification. I've been playing with magnification from 8x to 6x over the last year and a half and have concluded 7x is best for me. I really adore the 7x and 6.5x binoculars I have on hand. I tried really hard to like 6x including the Vortex Viper but none of them really worked for me. This was another return to 8x just to make certain 7x is "IT" before I start pursuing more expensive 7x models. I also visited the store this past week looking at other 8x just to concur.

There is nothing I can say here about the Sightron that hasn't already been said. My pair weighed in at 16.5 ounces, naked (no covers or strap); they are very light, and because of this lack the solid feel of a heavier bin but offer the benefit of little weight. I've felt that I have no preference for open or closed hinge binoculars, but now I think I lean toward closed hinge models. I have a hard time wrapping 3 fingers into the space provided. The optics are quite good. Distortion is minimal which is what I prefer since I spend a lot of time using bins in man made environments where everything is parallel and perpendicular. Distortion starts not to far from center but is very gradual and remains that way going out to the edges. CA wasn't any better or worse than the bins I have on hand. Sometimes I thought it was a hair worse at center and a hair better outside center... but concluded really no worse or better. Sweet spot comes across pretty big and center field resolution is good... nothing objectionable. The focus on mine is as others reported, a little on the stiff side coming out of the box, but today when I used them they seemed to be a bit less stiff... equal tension required in both directions with no hump of resistance anywhere in the travel. The objective and ocular cover are cheap and not very well done when compared to other offerings... but that don't bother me considering their price. The case is decent, made of cordura nylon with a simple velcroed flap. No belt loop or strap connection, but that is OK with me since I just stuff the bino in the case and in a backpack or vehicle. Strap is a simple 1" nylon strap... the way I like them, but I haven't taken it out of the wrapper to see how comfortable it really is. Glass comes across neutral in color, but I could see a brown brick chimney across the street turned ever so slightly to red/rose/pink. Lots of good reasons to own this glass: light weight without having to drop down to a pocket, beater glass, backup, budget minded, and bang for the buck... but not likely to be your favorite if you could have any binocular in the world. As others have mentioned... they do exceed their price point, and they compare favorably with the two I have on hand.

I had them out today and was wondering why I'm selling them and that I should just keep them in the car... I'm not too worried as they probably aren't priced cheap enough to get someone's attention.

Thanks for asking...

CG

Hey... I got to walk the streets of Paris about 30 years ago... absolutely loved it. Would love to return to France someday... but no travel in the plans anytime soon.... envy, envy, envy. |>| The language thing is awesome..., "Saling" and "sale it"... love it, keep it coming!

And a big thanks to Frank for stepping out and trying this one and reporting on it.

Last edited:
Thanks CG for your reply.

I just receive a new Sightron SII 8x32 from France. (20 days to come because the bino were out of stock but they arrived yesterday).
Price : 192€ (ship)
My first impression.

1. Focused knob not stiff and equal tension ! (I doubt it will become to stiff in cold...)
2. Eyecups work well for my face !
3. C.A. well controlled in the center (I was afraid because i hate to CA) but it's not a problem.
4. Well collimated, sharp and no problem (diopter to "0" for me...)
5. Light weight and great for my hands (483g naked)
6. I have to going out for more impressions...

S.

Hawke Frontier ED 10X43 vs Sightron BSII 8x32

Last edited:
Dadra,

I am happy to see you finally got one in your hands. Good pics! I look forward to hearing your further impressions.

Dadra,

I am happy to see you finally got one in your hands. Good pics! I look forward to hearing your further impressions.

Thanks Frank. The only Sightron's products importator is just at 20km far from my home... I find it last month and after calling him, I kew he was abble to import the BSII for a correct price (180€=180$...)
For the pics, all shoot with my old Zeiss Flektogon 35mm f/2.4. A very good lens with the EOS 5D MarkII :t:

Last edited:
Quick test on field

(Sorry, y english is so so...)

I had the chance, yesterday to compare the BSII two hours with :
1. Swarovision 8x32
2. Svarowski Companion 8x30
3. Busnell Legend Ultra HD 8x36
and more than 2 hours with
4. Frontier ED 10X43 (that i own)

The first Frank's review is very precise and my feeling with these bino is quite the same.

Clarity and contrast +++.
Very brigth optic ! The contrast is really great Maybe a bit less brigth than the Companion (in back light it's more obvious). The Legend are not brighter (with its 36mm diameter...) . The Swarovision are a notch clearer. The Frontier ED are not clearer for me (but i own a x10 magnification and not a x8 !)

Colors +
No more CA than the Companion. As Frank said : very well controlled in the center. Few purple fringe outside the sweet spot. The Frontier ED seem better for CA and the Swarovision also.

Ergonomy +++
I like a lot the eyespieces. I can put them deep in the "orbital cavity". The Sightron and the two Swaro work well with my face ! I can't see through the Legend Ultra HD without the "kidney bean effect". I supose that the eye relief is too small and the eyepieces too larges for my eyes ?

FOV +
The sweet spot is nice, quite as large as the Companion (perhaps a little less 80% vs 85% ?). The Legend have a larger FOV but the field curvature begins quicly (approximately 60%). Consequently, the sweet spot seems smaller than the Sigtron and the Companion. The Frontier ED present also more field curvature but it's not the same magnification, soi can't conclude...
The Swarovision are perfect edge to edge with a larger FOV but i felt the special effect when i try some panoramics follow-up : rolling-ball effect ?
I don't know :brains:

Conclusion ?
It's a very nice little bin : optically very bright and very very pleasant to use. I other one Frontier ED seem to me an "elephant" to compare for an insignificant gain. I was very supprised but the focuser is "butter smooth" but the Companion i tested (news) presented a "hard notch" just before becoming to infinity. After this "hard point", the tension of the focuser was very very smooth (too for me).
To conclude, the optical difference between the Companion and the Sightron is not obvious. The Companion are more compact for approximately the same weight. The Companion shoud be more robust (and the Swaro's customers service is unbeatable, like the price : 1 Swarovision for 10 BSII : it's a gap :smoke:)

Nice write-up Dadre. Your English isn't bad at all. One question though...your last statement about Swarovision and the Sightron ""It's a gap". What did you mean? I didn't want to misinterpret your meaning.

Thanks.

I'd say : a gap for the money : 180€ for the BSII and 1800€ for the Swarovision..
As you know, the quality of the Swarovision isn't 10x superior to the Sightron and the Companion is just a "hair" better (for 900€).

Hey Dadra..Where Did you buy Your Sightron?..I live in Spain and might be ordering one myself...I was going to but a demo unit of the Hawke Sapphire 10x42 ,for about the same price you paid for the sightron,but I am not sure i want a 10X binocular...my next option is the Hawke ED8x36,a bit cheaper for a demo...and a bit up in price (for a demo too) the Hawke Sapphire 8x43(Zen ED3 ?)...

Last edited:
In France, here : http://www.espfrance.com/category.php?id_category=313
The manager is a rude guy, and i send him two emails because the BSII was not in stock on line. He asked me, by phone, my card number for the command, no other choice (the shop is 20km from my home but it's not possible to have the BSII in shop). You have to pay before... I received the binos 2 weeks later, by mail. Honnest but rude :-@. I don't know if an european shipping is possible ; I think not !

-The Hawke Sapphire 10x42 for the same price (185€) ??? Is-it possible ? (The Frontier ED 10X43 are very goods and the Sapphire are a bit better.)
-The Frontier ED 8x36 should be great to but heavy.
-The Hawke Sapphire 8x34 ??? A new model ?

Sorry Dadra..I corrected that..Is the 8x43 Sapphire..they have the open bridge 43mm Sapphier models(similar to ZEN ED3)and a top bridge 42mm--...I found some Demos available at 210 euros,but as time goes by they might be sold by now..the 10x42 Sapphire has only 15mm ER,and same with the Frontier 8x36...that is the only reason I am not sure,...I use glasses...

Well, there were many comments throughout the review that lead me to the conclusion that they are the same glass. References to the contrast level and a relative lack of CA inside the sweet spot. Even comments about the accessories and their lack of functionality seem to ring a bell.

;)

In a funny coincidence, I recently brought up that specific review to Bob (caeser) when he suggested the Pentax. I specifically noted the comments about the crappy accessories as proof that its the same bin :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back