• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds in my attic? (2 Viewers)

sciense

Hi,
I've noticed a knocking sound coming from the attic at about 5am the past few mornings. I thought I heard chirruping too (though I may be imagining this).
I wonder if there is a birds nest up there?
I can see a small opening in the exterior of the house (we're an end-of-terrace) underneath the roof.
I'm tempted to go up there and have a look but I don't want to disturb the nest if there is one.
What's the protocol?
Having said all this, the knocking is loud enough to wake me up every morning & I need all the sleep I can get!
Please advise!
Thanks.

If there is it would be illegal to disturb the birds. Sadly for your sleep you should wait until the Autumn and block the hole. Watch and see what species is using the hole and get a nest box to replace the lost nest site which is suitable for the species involved.

could also be squirrels or rats - the only way to be certain is to investigate. you might try watching, but if it is birds, all will go quiet after the nest is built, because they only lay one egg a day, then incubate, then things will get hectic as the young hatch and are fed

Thanks for the replies.
I wouldn't want to disturb a birds nest. When might the young hatch, if it is birds?
The noise I'm hearing is a regular 'tap tap tap tap tap tap tap', like a small hammer. Then some skittering about. No audible flapping of wings.
I don't mind disturbing squirrels for some reason (though I like them), but talk of rats makes me nervous.
I guess the best thing to do is to get up at 5am and go outside to watch the hole.

Thanks for the replies.
I wouldn't want to disturb a birds nest. When might the young hatch, if it is birds?
The noise I'm hearing is a regular 'tap tap tap tap tap tap tap', like a small hammer. Then some skittering about. No audible flapping of wings.
I don't mind disturbing squirrels for some reason (though I like them), but talk of rats makes me nervous.
I guess the best thing to do is to get up at 5am and go outside to watch the hole.

I agree with birding maniac. A replacement nestbox in the Autumn and you won't feel so bad about blocking them out. Unless it's one of these
Code:
http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/amc0720l.jpg

Ok, I'm not sure these are birds at all.
The house next door has been vacant for many months and is in need of renovation. I'm hearing scrabbling sounds as well as the aforementioned tapping. It's always at about 5-6 am.
I think this is a rodent problem.
I think I should go up there and see whether there are any droppings?

The tapping sound reminds me of a house I used to know where the roof tiles were wooden. Periodically a woodpecker would have a go, looking for food and disloge them.

As well as droppings, you could try putting bait in the attic and see whether it is taken. Important - when putting down rat/mouse bait, it should always be covered so it cannot be accessed by other animals

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back