• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird keeps attacking for no reason (1 Viewer)

These past few days I have been outside in my garden, and this small bird with a loud sound squeaking sound, keeps flying towards me and swooping me. It feels like it wants to attacked, every time I turn around, it just repeats the swooping and aims for me. I have no idea why. I don't know what type of bird it is, and I have checked all my trees in surrounding area and there are no nests, so I'm perplexed as why it's displaying this aggressive behaviour. It usually sits on the house roofs and digs around in the gutters, but that's about it. I have checked gutters to make sure there is no nest in case it feels threatened, but nothing there. Can anybody help? I'm in country Victoria, Australia.

Hi ABM, do you know what the species is? This definitely sounds like nest protection behaviour to me. If you could get a picture it might be possible to identify it for you and give you some help to explain what's going on.

You say you have checked the trees, but have you checked the shrubs in your borders?

Hi ABM, do you know what the species is? This definitely sounds like nest protection behaviour to me. If you could get a picture it might be possible to identify it for you and give you some help to explain what's going on.

You say you have checked the trees, but have you checked the shrubs in your borders?
I have done some research since my post and I think it is a Willie Wagtail.

Ah!!! Very brave little birds, will go after anything to protect their young.

I would think they may have some fledged youngsters, on the ground somewhere (maybe) by this time?

Ah!!! Very brave little birds, will go after anything to protect their young.

I would think they may have some fledged youngsters, on the ground somewhere (maybe) by this time?
When is their breeding season? I read it goes from July to January? And since it's January, I assume that's why it's in swooping mode...

Quite likely. Just been reading up on the breeding season myself. So July to January; I think the extremities of the season may be governed by the weather and perhaps the availability of insects to feed the young.

How long has this behaviour been going on for? After a few days out of the nest, the young start becoming more and more independent and gradually start moving away.

Makes sense. I guess it will stop very soon.

Let us know if not, or if you discover anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back