• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Mountain Lion in PA (1 Viewer)

MLoyko

d[-_-]b
Hey all,

Last year (my senior year in high school), I took a zoology class and when we hit mammals we learned about the Mountain Lion. We were taught that because of humans and deforestation they were extirpated from Pennsylvania.

I want to know the truth behind this because a lot of the stuff he taught us about birds for example I found to be false from listening to you guys. Also, I saw one myself not so far back (don't call me crazy as I didn't get a great look at it but that tail is unmistakable).

Just curious that's all,
Matt

Hi Matt,

It is a controversial subject. Here are a few links:

http://www.fws.gov/northeast/ECougar/

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06309/735584-358.stm

In short, mountain lions are considered to have been extirpated from every eastern state except Florida at one point. But there have been lots of reported sightings, especially from Pennsylvania, and especially in recent years. Some of these are explained as escapes of animals kept as pets. However, there have been so many sightings that many believe there are wild mountain lions living in the East. It is another question whether these would be descendents of Eastern mountain lions, or mountain lions that have colonized from elsewhere.

I think both the Pennsylvania game commission and the Fish and Wildlife Service are tracking reported sightings. So if you are sure you saw one, you may want to report it.

Best,
Jim

Thanks Jim,

I am pretty sure I saw one, but this was a while back and have no way of knowing when, what time, etc. of the event. Thanks for the information.

-Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back