• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

IDs near Formby Merseyside? (1 Viewer)

Golfer1

Hi, Not sure if the bird on the left is a young curlew or a whimbrel? Beak is definitely shorter and I think I see stripes on the head - but it was very early am and photos are poor.
Is this owl seo or leo?
I know he isn't a bird..... maybe wood mouse?
Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_1247 qu whimbrel.jpg
    IMG_1247 qu whimbrel.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_1246.jpg
    IMG_1246.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_1251.JPG
    IMG_1251.JPG
    432.5 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_5894 Short eared owl sm.jpg
    IMG_5894 Short eared owl sm.jpg
    494.4 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_9235 Mouse sm.jpg
    IMG_9235 Mouse sm.jpg
    448.3 KB · Views: 217
The smaller waders is a Whimbrel, you can see the head pattern best in #3. The other wader is a Curlew. Agree with Short-eared Owl and the mammal is a Wood Mouse. The large ears and big, beady eye rule out any other species in the area ( Yellow-necked Mouse isn't found around Formby ).

Chris

Hi, Not sure if the bird on the left is a young curlew or a whimbrel? Beak is definitely shorter and I think I see stripes on the head - but it was very early am and photos are poor.
Is this owl seo or leo?
I know he isn't a bird..... maybe wood mouse?
Thanks for your help.

Wader could be Whimbrel but not 100% convinced - visible head stripes may by digital artifacts; owl is SEO - look at its yellow irides!; mammal does indeed appear to be Apodemus sylvaticus.

Rotherbirder

Smaller wader is definitely Whimbrel on smaller size, and shorter bill with straighter first two 3rds than the right hand, larger Curlew. It seems to be smaller than Curlew even though it simultaneously is apparently stood closer to the camera, a good sign!

Not convinced by the 'whimbrel'. Curlews vary considerably in size and the stripes may be an optical illusion. The owl is surely too heavily streaked below for seo
Terry

Although the underparts streaking on the Owl looks extensive I think that's down to the angle of the bird. IMO the barring on the left upperwing tip is not fine enough for LEO, although the tip of the right underwing seems intermediate, and the bars on the tail are too broad.

Chris

Owl is SEO - admittedly one with what appears to be obvious barring on the wingtip, although that's only on the underwing, and a belly that contrasts with the underwing. Key features that identify it as SEO are upperwing tip is as dark as the carpal patch, and there's an obvious white trailing edge to the wing.

Not convinced at all that the smaller Numenius is a Whimbrel.

cheers
martin

Yes the bird in pic 3 on its own is the same one that was on the left in the first two photos.

If you're certain then it's a Curlew, as the smaller bird in the first couple of pictures is a Curlew rather than a Whimbrel.

The Owl is definitely Long-eared - heavy streaking on the flanks/belly, and black border restricted to the front of the eye rather than having a heavy border all around.

Last edited:
Curlew for wader looks like juv with bill size, SEO with white edge to rear of wing, breast streaking varies from bird to bird, most Owls seen in the daytime are Short-eared Owl. Mammal Wood Mouse.

Regards, John

I'd say that was a Long-eared Owl. Face just looks right plus as others have said, body streaking etc...

Here is the best i can do comparison wise. You will have to imagine the LEO in strong sunlight

Attachments

• Leo.jpg
    Leo.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 109
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back