• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can someone help identify these please (1 Viewer)

Yes there are two holes either side. They have to be pins, that makes a lot of sense. If I heat the ocular arms with a hairdryer I may be able to pull the whole ocular assembly off. Thx for being so patient.

Done it, it was a tolerance fit.
da811ab1976b4a64f611b5eb307f8a11.jpg

I found that the plaster of Paris fell away easily when I used a surgical spirit and distilled water mix.
I cleaned them, put them back together and the collimation was spot on first go.
I have to say I really like the feel of these binoculars they have something elegant about them.
0fd48ba9e2da38740222a684c6f98d38.jpg
f48d68be52b91860406fcf43716e5e11.jpg
I am still not sure of the maker though.
Thx for the help.

From the photos it looks like they might have been repainted.
They could be another brand, but the methods were similar.

I love my salvaged eyepieces. Contrast/sharp like orthoscopicss, 52-deg apparent field.
(way more than an ortho, for sure)
Pretty amazing for uncoated. Their lens surfaces are arranged for that..they give
up field in a 5-element for the contrast and sharpness. Brilliant design.
I'll always have those for planetary/telescope use.
As far as chassis///well....dang! heh

Two possibilities:
1) For whatever reason (cosmetic damage?) the original markings may have been removed and they were repainted. If so, it's possible the original markings could still be visible if the repaint were removed.
2) After WW I there were a lot of secondary French makers who made some of their binoculars without trademarks which were sold to and branded by various retailers in Europe and North America. If so, they could have been made by Fournier, Deraisme, Lemaire, Flammarion, Leger, Colmont or others whose names are not as well known. I doubt, though, they would have been made unmarked by BBT Krauss or Huet. (Among this grouping Lemaire is a curious one - one of the most prominent makers of Galileans, but didn't transition to prismatics with the same success.) And for some unknown reason (liquidation of assets after bankruptcy?) they were never branded

Last edited:
Nice additional background!
Yes, it could have been any of those..

There was a similar chaotic period after WW-2 in Japan.
In their case there were dozens of 'superlative adjective' brands,
though many were quite good.

After WW-1 There were even imitations of the heavy French Galileans in the US...
probably French bodies, but weak lenses of window-glass..maybe put in in the US.

I had a nice prismatic LeMaire, no gross prism mounts, all brass, but it was probably
not from that turbulent window of time.

French EP design was a little different...nice saturated fields (when cleaned completedly).
The US brand Tower started with French parts, tweaked the EPs, and had the bins made
by Ofuna in Japan after WW2. In the 40s and 50s you can still see the modified French EP schemes.
Their version of the 7x35 Featherweight was awesome.

So...I always like the French EPs.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back