• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Choosing binoculars for bird watching (1 Viewer)

Which binoculars should I choose?

• Total voters

MiraCoup

Russian Federation
Hello friends.
Please help me to choose my first binoculars.
I wanted to take 8*42 as more universal. Although maybe someone can recommend another one.
In total I have considered 4 models. Although I may be wrong too. I would be grateful if you could help me to decide which one to choose.

Привет MiraCoup, and welcome to Birdforum. The models you list span quite a range in price, with many good choices according to budget. At the upper end, Zeiss Conquest and Nikon MHG in particular have been highly regarded here. And you can search the forum for comments on others. Buying a pre-owned top model is another option, given their mechanical and optical quality.

Last edited:
Does it have to be a 42mm binocular?
Have you considered 30mm?
You will save a lot of weight with a 30 or 32mm binocular and for day time viewing, very little, if any difference in brightness will be noticed.
Anyway, Merry Christmas to you.

If the budget would be around € 1000, I would go for the Zeiss Conquest 8x32 (not the 8x42 because the fov of the 8x42 is too little for my taste.) For 10 power I would choose the Conquest 10x42 or the Leica Trinovid 10x42.

I have the Swarovski SLC 8x42 and if you can get one secondhand for around € 1000 that would be my first choice. Really nice and comfortable in use.
I don't know the bins you mentioned.

If the budget would be around € 1000, I would go for the Zeiss Conquest 8x32 (not the 8x42 because the fov of the 8x42 is too little for my taste.) For 10 power I would choose the Conquest 10x42 or the Leica Trinovid 10x42.

I have the Swarovski SLC 8x42 and if you can get one secondhand for around € 1000 that would be my first choice. Really nice and comfortable in use.
I don't know the bins you mentioned.

If eye relief had been sufficient for my desire I had kept Conquest HD 8x32. According to what I read it is the sharpest of Conquest HD models. And I can confirm that it is sharper on axis than the 8x42.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back