• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

how do i fix my binoculars (1 Viewer)

thelabirder

my binoculars broke after i packed them for a trip and the tsa went through my luggage. they popped a lens cap and i cant figure out what to do. NEED HELP SOON!!!

my binoculars broke after i packed them for a trip and the tsa went through my luggage. they popped a lens cap and i cant figure out what to do. NEED HELP SOON!!!

Need more information really. What binoculars are they? Do you have a photo of them and the broken part?

We really need better information than this. However, the first place to start should be the manufacturer of the binocular. If they are worth the effort to repair, they should have some sort of a combination of warranty or service policy. Check there first.

Fixing binoculars can sometimes be done with minimal effort and knowledge, but going there will have the very high potential of doing far greater damage. You are into the territory occupied by the old adage..."don't try this at home". On the other hand, it may well be simple enough. "Popped a lens cap" is a description that does not convey adequate information. What is the saying...a picture is worth a thousand words? ;)

Last edited:
By lens cap you must mean they eye cups that screw out. Those can be repaired or replaced. It's a bit tricky. I've examined a couple of pairs. If one eye cup still works, you simply use your hand to function as the eye cup on the broken side. You may need to pry loose any broken bits. I've done it. Good luck with your trip.

Hi,

I guess this comes a bit late, but optics should go to carry-on...

Regarding the broken bin - make and type plus a picture would certainly help.

A broken lens cap should not affect the performance of the bins in any way so you probably mean sth else...

Joachim

I'm guessing from the OP's other posts that he/she is probably young and new to birding, and may be unfamiliar with the whole birding/optics terminology thing. If you can tell us, labirder, what damage your bino suffered, or post a photo, we'd be happy to help!:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back