• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Annoying Ads (1 Viewer)

Ian Bell

Supporter
Scotland
Can anyone tell me how to remove adverts appearing on the screen of my PC ? It really Is annoying and seems to be becoming more regular.

Can anyone tell me how to remove adverts appearing on the screen of my PC ? It really Is annoying and seems to be becoming more regular.

Which anti-virus/security software are you using?

Firstly check that the Ad Blocker or Anti-Banner setting is turned ON.

If that doesn't work then you may need to download a malware/adware removal programme. There are a number available FOC, but check your security settings first. HTH

If your Ad Blocker hasn't stopped it or you havn't got one, then the best way to get rid of it is to delete the program in your add/remove programs facility. Sometimes this is not that straight forward as you need to know the file name of the malware that's causing the pop-up. If this is the case then google "how do I get rid of XYZ pop-up" and this should give you the program name.

Shane

This is the programme I use to block ads. You will need to select the one for the browser you use (just click on one of the icons to the right of the download button).

https://adblockplus.org/en/internet-explorer

This is the anti-malware programme I use, just click on the FREE download button. Once installed it will ask to update and then give you an option to scan, choose 'Quick Scan'. Once completed anything it has found will appear in a box and you can get rid of them by clicking the 'Fix checked' button.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/

Run Malwarebytes every couple of weeks or so making sure you allow it to update first.

Dave

malware bytes

This is the programme I use to block ads. You will need to select the one for the browser you use (just click on one of the icons to the right of the download button).

https://adblockplus.org/en/internet-explorer

This is the anti-malware programme I use, just click on the FREE download button. Once installed it will ask to update and then give you an option to scan, choose 'Quick Scan'. Once completed anything it has found will appear in a box and you can get rid of them by clicking the 'Fix checked' button.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/

Run Malwarebytes every couple of weeks or so making sure you allow it to update first.

Dave
Hi there by clicking the `fix checked` button does this quaranteen the malware or delete it, has I later found mine only quaranteened I had to press a DELETE button to get rid of them

It would normally delete them, however, in some cases, Malwarebytes will ask you to restart your computer to complete the malware removal. Malwarebytes also finds PUPs (potentially unwanted programmes). These may not be harmful and sometimes Mbam may just quarantine them When you open Mbam, just click on 'Quarantine' and then 'Delete all'.

Dave

It is also worth checking to see if you have 'picked up' a rouge browser add-on that may be generating some of the ads. In whatever browser you are using click on the 'Cog' icon in IE (top right of screen), 3 horizontal bars in Chrome (top right of screen) or 'Tools' in firefox (top of screen), and then manage/show add-ons. You need to check all of them to see if there are any there you do not want. Either disable or delete any rouge add-ons.

Dave

malware bytes

It is also worth checking to see if you have 'picked up' a rouge browser add-on that may be generating some of the ads. In whatever browser you are using click on the 'Cog' icon in IE (top right of screen), 3 horizontal bars in Chrome (top right of screen) or 'Tools' in firefox (top of screen), and then manage/show add-ons. You need to check all of them to see if there are any there you do not want. Either disable or delete any rouge add-ons.

Dave
Hi dave thanks for the info...:t:

I bought and downloaded Norton 360 protection but I am still experiencing the same problems.I was told buying Norton 360 would do the trick but It most certainly has not.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back