• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tanzania set 1 (1 Viewer)

Hello,
Recently returned from a trip to Tanzania with quite a few unidentified photos. These are all from Arusha NP.

1. Cuckoo?
2. Firefinch?
3. ??
4. Lark
5. Spotted Flycatcher?

I'm sure I'll have mare batches to come, as I go through photos :)

Attachments

• C7D_5072.JPG
    C7D_5072.JPG
    195.2 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC04366.jpg
    DSC04366.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 22
  • C7D_5443.JPG
    C7D_5443.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 24
  • C7D_5553.JPG
    C7D_5553.JPG
    284.1 KB · Views: 24
  • C7D_6219.JPG
    C7D_6219.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 22
Since nobody has answered, I'll give it a shot. I hope someone will come along and check.

1. This might well be a cuckoo, in which case it might be Red-chested juvenile, (not Black), as it seems to have a white breast. But I'm not sure this photo even shows the colours correctly (i.e. it's not quite as dark as it looks), in which case it could be African or Common. I don't think we can see well enough to tell.

2. This should be African Firefinch with the black bill.

3. Singing Cisticola, I think.

4. The bill looks small to me, so I'd go for Flappet Lark, rather than Rufous-naped, but I'm not sure.

5. Yes, Spotted Flycatcher.

I'm not sure black bill excludes Red-billed Firefinch in juvenile plumage.

Your link seemed to be broken, so I fixed it.

http://www.tanzaniabirds.net/African_birds/Firefinch_red_billed/firefinch_red-billed_juv_Machame_BobKasworm_2016_07[1].jpg

Hi Alino: Yes, and in fact, I wasn't looking carefully enough. This bird has a white vent (undertail), which means it has to be Red-billed (even though Zimmerman ('Birds of Kenya') says the juvenile has a bill which is brown above, pink below).

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back