• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rooks (1 Viewer)

songbird6666

Does anyone else like these birds? I think they are lovely, comical, and am really pleased when I get them come to the feeding table. There's one coming on his own with the jackdaws at the moment (I like them too) but this boy has such a cheeky face, and his plumage is magnificent, the colours are fantastic. They are really nervy though, any movement from me in the kitchen window (which is about 25feet away, and they are off like a rocket. The most I have had come down is 6 at one time.

Hi Songbird

I love Rooks as well, I am amazed that they come to your garden.

Here in the West of Holland Rooks are unfortunately rather scarce, I only know of one colony about 20 km West of Rotterdam. I have read that Rooks also used to be a common bird here in Rotterdam but alas no more.

There are colonies in the South, North and East of Holland but (again) unfortunately many people consider them a nuisance and in certain towns the local council is trying thme to drive a way, eventhough it is a protected bird.

Last edited:
I absolutely love Rooks, I love all corvids. I get lots of them in the garden, normally anything up to 30. I like their baggy trousers, and they have lovely glossy plumage. =)

believe they're seen as a sign of good luck in many countries, if they have nested somewhere then leave it's associated with death, that's what someone told me when I moved here.

I like the Rooks, not so keen on Jackdaws, they get in my Owl boxes.

Hi Richard (and everyone else)

Sorry but it creased me to read your posting of Rooks leaving and being associated with death. I have not heard that one until now. My local Rookery - 30/40 yds from my house is in the local cemetary!!!!

I too enjoy a strange fascination with these intriguing birds - their ease of gliding on the wind; their nervousness; intelligence; communal spirit and mass exodus/entry to the Rookery each day.

Occasionally I get few visitors to my garden, though they much prefer the open farmland to the rear of us: and yes, they too are also accompanied by a couple of Jackdaws every now and then. I do like these birds, the Jackdaws, and would love to be lucky enough to copy other people and have them come feed regularly, becoming trusting of me to spend more time in the garden and perhaps perform a few of their intelligent tricks.

Regards,

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back