• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great Spotted Woodpecker!!!! (1 Viewer)

david2004

I posted a thread a while ago asking how to attract GSW's to my birdtable. After I saw adults around and we heard them frequently, I got my hopes up.

Once one came to the peanuts and fed for a few seconds! YAY! The first time I saw them anywhere near the birdtable!

I thought this was just a once-off, but since being back at SCHOOL ( :C ) I have been told at least 1 adult comes regularly to the peanuts, and the seeds! Practically every day! I am so pleased to have finally attracted woodpeckers!

I have seen them now at feeders a few times, and hope they stay! Also having many Greenfinches, Tits (inlcuding LT flock in back garden!), and the usual Starlings. Many species have disappeared after making brief appearances, like Hsparrows, Chaffinches, Chiffchaffs, Robins, Dunnocks, Sparrows, Thrushes, Blackbirds. They all disappeared!

Well done David. As the saying goes "Patience is a virtue" :t:

I bet you the other birds will reappear sooner rather than later...

Regards

tp20uk

Unfortunately I have never seen any type of woodpecker in my small garden, but here's a photo I took this morning on the feeders at my local conservation area. I hope you get much better and longer views of your visitor soon.
Don't worry about your other birds, most of them will show up again before the year is out.

Attachments

• tn_gsw.jpg
    tn_gsw.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Keep up the feeding, and next year when the food is in high demand you may be treated to some juveniles visiting, and if you're lucky, a scene like this:

Attachments

• dadbabysmall.jpg
    dadbabysmall.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 141
They are great birds to watch I saw them feeding at a Nature Resreve and just watched it for ages till it flew off

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back