• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SFL rollling ball/rolling globe? (1 Viewer)

ForkHorn

United States
In my quest for the perfect lightweight 7-8x binos I have some SFL 8x40 headed my way right now.

I am somewhat sensitive to the roller ball effect when panning fast.

Has anyone experienced this in the SFL? I could find it mentioned briefly once in a previous thread, but many don't have a sensitivity.

I am hoping it's less than flat field flatteners work to my preference here.

Regardless I will report back my experience when I have them in hand next week.

In my quest for the perfect lightweight 7-8x binos I have some SFL 8x40 headed my way right now.

I am somewhat sensitive to the roller ball effect when panning fast.

Has anyone experienced this in the SFL? I could find it mentioned briefly once in a previous thread, but many don't have a sensitivity.

I am hoping it's less than flat field flatteners work to my preference here.

Regardless I will report back my experience when I have them in hand next week.
If memory serves Zeiss have implemented a distortion profile suggested through research by Holger Merlitz - a (very) well respected member of the forum in the sfl series of binoculars. They strike a good balance between keeping straight lines straight(ish) and not displaying rolling ball.

Will

Users who are viewing this thread

Back