• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any one used the Sigma 800/5.6 0r the 300-800/5.6? (1 Viewer)

Duke Leto

Without habitat, there is no wildlife. It's that s
Just looking for anyone that may own / used these lenses?
If its focal length were after are these worth considering?
What are they like to live with?

Thanks

Steve

Get in touch with Richard (Doghouse756) about the prime and Dave Hutton about the zoom.

Hope this helps Steve.
Adam

wow

I am not an expert but would 800 be almost impossible to control without a great Tripod....gees, the weight alone would make it hard to "pack it in " for miles.... Right or wrong?

Duke, I used to have the 800mm 5.6 Sigma, the version before the DG or whatever the latest one is called. It was a pretty good lens, capable of good results particularly if stepped down a little. I think for the money it is excellent value, a good way of getting long reach with not too much outlay. If they did a version with IS, I would possibly have stayed with Sigma, but in the end the IS swung it for me, and I trade up to a Canon 600 F4. I found the image quality with this lens with the 1.4 attached to be better than the sigma, and also the Canon seemed to me to do a better job of blurring out the background. The 800 was noticeably lighter.

Steve,
Just in case you overlooked it, there are 14 glowing reviews of the 300-800 on fredmiranda under the reviews section, summed up = very sharp, very heavy and needs a BIG tripod.
regards.

Thanks

Steve
Hi steve, i use a sigma 300-800.lens with a gitzo3531s carbon tripod, with wimberley head. nikon d200. a lot of my photography is done around the poole harbour area, so a very sturdy tripod with wimberly are essential to get good results. i find that with this combination vibration is not an issue, which is sometimes the case with large lenses. The total weight of this set up is 23 pounds. I use a specail backpack if carrying a long way, this pack is specially designed for big tele lenses, can even leave camera attached to lens for quick set up. web page for this is-2008.southern office refurbishment ltd. i used this site and they set me up and i am well pleased with service. hope this info helps. focal length with zoom is brilliant

I use the sigmonster 300-800 mainly for hide work and find that it can give excellent results.
As mentioned earlier, It's sharp, heavy and does require a descent tripod. i use the Gitzo 3530 and manfrotto 393 head and find that they work well together.
I also find that the lens seems to be sharpest at F8 but still gives good results at 5.6.

The main fault I find with the lens appart from the weight is that there is no focus limit switch which can be frustrating if you are wanting to regain focus in a hurry.
Well worth the money if you don't mind the extra weight and the lack of focus limit switch.

Try and get your hands on one and give it a try before buying.

Thanks

Steve

Steve,
have owned both of these lenses, the 800 was the old non HSM version which made the focus too slow, upgraded to the 300-800 which was excellent as Kelvin says in his post (he bought mine) the only reason I sold was the weight issue as I am a birder first, photographer second (cant carry scope and a big lens) Please let me know if you want to sell your 500 !
Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back