• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Winter Hummingbird Feeder (1 Viewer)

JMomOhio

Last fall when all the hummers left, my downy woodpeckers just kept right on using the feeders. They are STILL using it! We have many days when it is frozen solid and they are still visiting and chipping the nectar from the holes. I'm still changing the nectar, they're still coming.........so what the heck! It's interesting to watch. I even get a house finch now and then! :)

On a side note, I had to female pileated woodpeckers at my regular feeders today! It's not unusual to see one, but it was a real treat to see TWO!! Glorious day here in southern Ohio!! :) lol!!

Attachments

• Various 6848 (Medium).jpg
    Various 6848 (Medium).jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 60
  • Various 6894 (Medium).jpg
    Various 6894 (Medium).jpg
    50 KB · Views: 58
Woodpeckers are smart, and they "know" the sugar gives them energy. Our Gilla Woodpeckers do the same thing down here. It is always funny to see those big guys on the small feeder, and the hummers hate it!. I would love to see a Pileated, one day!

When the hummers are here, they don't seem to mind a bit that they are sharing. They do fight with the bees and wasps, but I suppose they aren't going to take up a feud with a bird larger than them! LOL!!

Here's a pic from my kitchen window today of the pileateds! Wonderful birds! They both appeared to be female.

Attachments

• Various 025 (Medium).jpg
    Various 025 (Medium).jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 72
Nice, one of these days I'll see them. Looks like a cold, rainy (snowy?), dreary day.

Yes, dreary days are about all we get this time of year! We've got lots of snow on the ground right now! I can't wait for Spring!!! The countdown for the hummers will be starting soon! :)

When the hummers are here, they don't seem to mind a bit that they are sharing. They do fight with the bees and wasps, but I suppose they aren't going to take up a feud with a bird larger than them! LOL!!

Here's a pic from my kitchen window today of the pileateds! Wonderful birds! They both appeared to be female.

All the photos are wonderful but the Pileated Woodpeckers... AMAZING!!! :t: :t: :t: :t:

They are my #1 never seen but hope to see bird.

That's a great capture! I hear them around the neighborhood but rarely see them.

ALWAYS having suet available seems to be the key to attracting them. Until I started putting it out year round, I heard them but rarely saw them. It's such a treat to see them up close!! Wish I could figure out where they're nesting. Each year we seem to get more and more of them.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back