• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

what is simplest/eaiest free noise reduction download? (1 Viewer)

David Smith

Warrington Lancs
Being a complete technophobe I need the simplest to use/easiest to download noise reduction. I want a free download as I don't expect it to get much use (hopefully just this batch of photos)
At the moment I have Photofiltre and PS3 which have 'sharpening' tools but (as far as I can see) no noise reduction.

Thanks

Neatimage was free the last time I downloaded it, I leave it as it comes and just press the apply buttons and it does a good job. I'd use the standalone version rather than the photoshop plug-in version.

Neatimage was free the last time I downloaded it, I leave it as it comes and just press the apply buttons and it does a good job. I'd use the standalone version rather than the photoshop plug-in version.

Thanks
There is a website called "computer Geeks" that helps you download safe 'free' programmes.......I will see if that has it. Failing that how would I go about getting it?

Thanks
There is a website called "computer Geeks" that helps you download safe 'free' programmes.......I will see if that has it. Failing that how would I go about getting it?

You can get it from the Neatimage Website, Neatimage is well known and their site will be safe (I hope).

Here's a link for the site http://www.neatimage.com/
and a link to the download page http://www.neatimage.com/download.html

as i said it was free the last time I downloaded it as I still use the copy I downloaded but things might have changed.

NB The free version of Neat Image will only work for web sized images being 1024x1024 pixels or less which I see from your other thread will be a problem.

If you are not going to do the NR selectively then DPP has noise reduction and that comes free with all Canon Cameras (it also has a batch mode). If you do end up buying a NR prog then I can highly recommend topaz DeNoise (BTW I think you can download a full working version on a 30 day trial although you need to check if it will work with you normal editing software).
You need to to realise that NR can/will soften the image to some extent so care is needed when using it no matter which one you use. To get the best out of NR you really need to do it on a individual photo basis and select the part of the image that you apply it to.

Last edited:
If you are not going to do the NR selectively then DPP has noise reduction and that comes free with all Canon Cameras (it also has a batch mode). If you do end up buying a NR prog then I can highly recommend topaz DeNoise (BTW I think you can download a full working version on a 30 day trial although you need to check if it will work with you normal editing software).
You need to to realise that NR can/will soften the image to some extent so care is needed when using it no matter which one you use. To get the best out of NR you really need to do it on a individual photo basis and select the part of the image that you apply it to.

Thanks. Being a technophobe (and a old male one at that) I hadn't thought of the Canon software......I will look at that.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back