• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A good day (1 Viewer)

KC Foggin

Very, very long time member
Supporter
United States
Filled with an assortment of birders who all came out to get a look at this rare bird for the Carolinas. It presented itself in the open this morning and then again late this afternoon. Amazing to watch all these birders ignore the sight of the 2 Pileateds that arrived and hung out over our heads, their eyes peeled only for the Lark Sparrow. I still shake my head at that one. I hope I never become blase about a Pileated.

Here is a better view of the Lark Sparrow than I posted last weekend.

Attachments

• 012404digiLASP2.jpg
    012404digiLASP2.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 111
That is amazing KC. How can anyone ignore pileateds? Good shot of the lark sparrow. I get them here but they aren't rare in my area. They are neat birds but I'd still rather see a pileated. <VBG> Did you get to play tour guide?

That's exciting that your find has generated such attention. I think a pileated would distrct me, I feel compelled to watch those guys whenever I have the chance.

Rosah, it kind of surprised me. It's not like the Pileateds are that easily seen here. Their approaching call still gives me goosebumps. Yes, Gary, the newspaper birding editor and I played tour guides this afternoon. :)

Hi Strix! You better believe the Pileated will get my attention every time. I think they are such awe inspiring birds.

Thanks Dave. Heading back out in a bit to see I it is still around and hopefully, I will have my spot back to myself :)

Hi KC
My daughter's in-laws, being rich (!), live on Seabrook Island,S.C. A couple of years ago we spent Easter there and I videoed an extremely tame Pileated which was quietly pecking away right above my head. Here is a video-grab (nowhere near up to the standard of your excellent shot of the Lark Sparrow!):
We had a great time over there, also visiting the Francis Beidler Forest, Magnolia Gardens, Folly Beach, Sullivan's Island, I'on Swamp, Santee Coastal Reserve and the Congaree Swamp (where I became hopelessly lost with only a couple of hours before our flight home!).
Saw some great birds, including Bachman's Sparrow (boy are they hard to see), Red-cockaded -peckers, Mississippi and Swallow-tailed Kites, Blue Grosbeaks, etc. We unfortunately had to leave just before the Swainson's Warblers came in.
I would be interested to know what other sparrows are regular winter visitors there.
Aquila

Attachments

• PilPecker.jpg
    PilPecker.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 116
Hi Aquila! I didn't see a link/thumbnail for your video grab of the Pileated. :( The area you describe is absolutely lovely and I wouldn't mind living in that area if my salary was a bit higher:).

I have yet to see the Red cockaded woodpecker down here but have seen every other woodpecker we have.

Our year round sparrows include the House, Seaside (although harder and harder to find) Bachmans and you are right, they blend in so well, and Field Sparrow. Our wintering sparrows include Song, Swamp, Savannah, Fox, Chipping, Vesper and a few Henslow's. I had the good fortune of locating the Clay-colored (another rare visitor here and documented with records and photos I supplied :)), Grasshopper and now the Lark Sparrow :)

Hi kC what a great shot of an attractive bird, know what you mean about the tunnel vision though something we are all guilty of from time to time.

Brian.

Hi Brian and thank you. Gosh, I hope I never become that used to a bird where I don't stop and take a good look. Granted, I tend to do that with the Pigeons and doves but that's about the only two birds.

Thanks for that KC. If you left-click on the video-grab within the message it should enlarge a little.
Keep looking for those sparrows, you're doing well! How about a LeConte's next?

Thanks KC ,a good photo.It is always interesting to hear about birds ,totally unfamiliar to us.But yes,we know what you mean re the tunnel vision.I do not count those people as genuine bird enthusiasts.
Christine

Well dang Aquila, was that thumbnail there before? If it was I am certainly in need of a bit of sleep.

Yes a LeConte would be nice. I was told yesterday by our local college ornithologist that if I really want to cause a stir here to find them a Black-throated sparrow or a Harris sparrow. I told him I would do my best :)

Hi Christine. I think had it been a pigeon or house sparrow, I wouldn't have been so taken back. I am beginning to realize there are listers and there are birders. Not a bad thing just different.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back