• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some issues with the Kite/Skua ATX 95 case (1 Viewer)

Bill Atwood

Supporter
United States
This case is a bit of a disappointment, although I think I will keep it.

1. The design of the ocular and objective covers has a MAJOR design flaw. There are pieces of neoprene fabric sandwiched together and glued to the inside of each cover. Presumable this is to protect the glass from getting broken if something strikes the neoprene cover. While it likely would provide such protection, the fabric is likely to rub against the glass if anything is pressed against it. This is much more likely to happen during scope transit or storage than a hard strike that could break the glass. Anything touching the glass, even soft fabric will and wear on it. Scratches will result if there is any dirt on the glass or fabric. I learned this the hard way with 300/4 lens kept in a semi-soft case without the cap on.

To compound the problem, the hard caps can't be used with the neoprene sandwiches.

Luckily the ocular cover sandwich fell off immediately. With some careful and persistent pulling I managed to remove the objective cover sandwich. The cover will now accommodate the hard caps, but the non-tethered objective cap is a pain. I hope to find someone that can sew a pocket or elastic ribbon onto the neoprene cover that will permanently retain the hard cap. Pentax used to make a stay-on case for their scopes that had a pocket for the hard cap.

2. Both covers are a size too small and damned tight. They were a pain to get on. The objective hood is now about impossible to extend. Once it is, then put back, the KS cover has to be wrestled with again. Getting the ocular cover on and off is also a bit of a battle.

3. Grey, tan, brown or green would have been better than black.

One Solution...

The problem:

untitled shoot-010.jpg
As you can see, the fabric sandwich on the inside of the cover protrudes well into the retracted hood and will contact the glass. Not good.

A solution:

untitled shoot-011.jpg
Velcro to the rescue! Gently peel off the sandwich. You can see the remaining glue on either side of the velcro rectangle on the inside of the cover flap. Stitched the fabric portion of the velcro to the cover since the peel and stick wouldn't likely hold. The velcro hook portion peel and stick seems to work well on the hard cap.

The result:

untitled shoot-012.jpg
Finished product. The velcro arrangement used allows access to the hard cap buttons for insert and release of the hard cap - fabric cover combo.

i had one from Kite and removed also these inner things, but now i have a swarovski stay on cover and its better but cost more money.

The problem:

View attachment 508835
As you can see, the fabric sandwich on the inside of the cover protrudes well into the retracted hood and will contact the glass. Not good.

A solution:

View attachment 508836
Velcro to the rescue! Gently peel off the sandwich. You can see the remaining glue on either side of the velcro rectangle on the inside of the cover flap. Stitched the fabric portion of the velcro to the cover since the peel and stick wouldn't likely hold. The velcro hook portion peel and stick seems to work well on the hard cap.

The result:

View attachment 508837
Finished product. The velcro arrangement used allows access to the hard cap buttons for insert and release of the hard cap - fabric cover combo.

nice solution!

I think kowa have a similar design for the from objective cap,

original swaro case seems overpriced,
and it has no carrying strap, bad design,

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back