• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Replacement for M7 8x30 (6 Viewers)

Aaanyways, thanks for the input everybody.

I've decided to go with the 8x32 Veronas as they tick the most boxes after a careful, wine infused consideration.

I'll phone the retailer and ask him to feel the boxes as we speak and pick the one that I resonate with, since I had no luck with them on site.

... after a careful, wine infused consideration.
No doubt this is by far the most accurate and precise scientific method of dealing with important decisions like getting a new bino ;) I fully concur. As for the verano, I'm seriously considering one as well. I'll be visiting the UK this Summer, and I've seen amazing deals for those there.

@MeltAlready I've finally given in and ordered an 8x32 Verano. Saw a great deal in the UK and couldn't resist. I won't be able to test it until a relative brings them from the UK, but I'll compare them to my Traveller as soon as I get them.
Good stuff! I've had a pair for a few days now.

It's way brighter than the M7, the sharpness is slightly better, the sweetspot is larger and the picture is more contrasty. Focus is smooth and very quick, way snappier than the M7.

Seems sturdy and nice to hold. The rubber armor feels solid, but it will definitely start to peel from where the straps are looped in. The sides of the loops are rubberised all the way up and there is already light shining through. Not a big issue, but I don't know why they would not just leave the rubbering to the base of the loop.

Overall enjoying them alot.

IMG_20240327_174913.jpg

Hey!

I see you get these threads alot, but I need a crowd to guide me.

I've had the Nikons around four years, and they've been through alot. Optically very sound, I picked them amongst six samples and these where the absolute cherry. I scratched the right side objective glass with a multitool while bikepacking, the soft rubber cover is falling to pieces but they still perform great, maybe a bit hazy. 😂

I've tried the Opticron lineup, Traveller and Verano 8x32. Verano was clearly sharper, but even amongst three copies I had some issues setting the diopter just right. Also the plastic from the eyepieces felt too abrasive in the long run. Also tried GPO Passion ED, and the Kowa BD II which I did not like at all. Lots of focus breathing and a very shallow sweetspot. GPO Passion was decent, but the eyepieces didn't extend enough for me.

Now I'm eyeing the Kite Lynx 8x30 HD+ as this is pretty much where my budget sits, around 600€. This I would need to order online, but can always return if need be.

The revamped M7 is there, but I'm slowly swaying away from China merch as much as I can.

Zeiss Conquest HD is 900€ and the Leica Trinovid is 830€. Both in 8x32. This far my budget will not most certainly stretch, but I cant think of anything in between. Oh yeah, the Maven B3, but these are kinda hard to come by here in Finland.
I’m with you on the Opticron’s, , never had any luck and always disappointed.

Glad to hear your on board with finding other sources than China, good decision, wish more would do the same. Check out the Vortex Viper HD’s. Excellent at that price point , Great company/warranty and made in the Philippines. Also I believe on sale at a few dealers.

Paul

Unfortunately -- the Viper seems to be MiC now. It say so in the pics. Or was that an older pic and the newer ones are actually made in the Philippines?

Unfortunately -- the Viper seems to be MiC now. It say so in the pics. Or was that an older pic and the newer ones are actually made in the Philippines?
Viper was made in China previously and Razor HD were MIJ, both went Philippines. Only UHD MIJ.

Viper was made in China previously and Razor HD were MIJ, both went Philippines. Only UHD MIJ.
Ah, cool. Thanks for clarifying. I also read (probably here) that the Kowa YFs are also all made in the Philippines now. Those are still on my wish list, even though I really don't "need" another bino but when was it ever a question of need?

Best value is with the Vortex binoculars. I bought their 12x50 Razor HD last year from BH Photo and paid $800. As good as my Swarovski binoculars in every respect. Like that the Vortex have a lifetime warranty. For an 8x30 I would go with the Nikon Monarch HG ones that sell for $987 US.

8x30s are great, but, if you're comparing mid-range 8x30s, you might consider trying higher-range 8x20, 8x25, 7x21. I know you are conc3erned about brightness, but consider also that the smaller alphas bins have higher light transmission and may perform more comparably than you'd expect to mid or low grade glass in larger objectives. I have the older zeiss victory 8x20 and 10x25, newer (victory)8x25, and swaro curio 7x21.

My dad had the (older) monarch 7 8x30 and 10x30 for birding and canoeing/camping. I gave him a pair of leica UV 8x32 for fathers day as an upgrade... well, then he saw my zeiss victory 8x25, tried them, and quickly gave me the eye that he preferred the smaller bins. The smaller zeiss was just as bright, if not brighter, and clearly sharper. He's since bought the zeiss victory 10x25 and loves them too (better eye relief for non-glasses). I use my 8x20 and 7x21 for real, legit birding while traveling, and leave my bigger NL 8x32 at home for local patch use. You can get the 8x20 on eBay for around $300-350 when they come up (maybe 3x in the last year as I've watched in the US). Their glass was scored as good as the new Swaro 7x21s, which I find to be brighter in lower light, but I find the asymmetrical folding mechanism of the zeiss makes their ergonomics far superior.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back