• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

An invasion of siskins (2 Viewers)

SimonG

In years gone by the siskins have lingered until mid March in my garden. Dependent on what type of habitat you have around you will be the deciding factoe as to sticking around. They usually depart to breeding grounds asa you would expect from March onwards.

I'm now having mixed feelings about the siskins, because they seem to be edging out the goldfinches. My BTO count for last week peaked at 44 siskins, but although I had 13 goldfinches at the beginning of the week, the number at the end of the week was much lower.

Did you decide on another feeder Elizabeth?

When placing the number of Siskins on your count form I bet the "are you sure" message came up.

It is always a strange feeling when a new bird comes along as it seems to change the "balance" of the garden but they will eventually find their niche and settle down. That has got to be the best count at a feeding station I have ever heard of so make the most of it as I am sure the goldies will be back to full squabballing mode themselves in the not to distant future.

I think I know where your coming from Elizabeth, as quite a few of the birds have looked quite put out since their arrival! I will miss their chatter though when they leave..... :'D

Thanks for the info Stephen!

Sleeper said:
Did you decide on another feeder Elizabeth?

When placing the number of Siskins on your count form I bet the "are you sure" message came up.

It is always a strange feeling when a new bird comes along as it seems to change the "balance" of the garden but they will eventually find their niche and settle down. That has got to be the best count at a feeding station I have ever heard of so make the most of it as I am sure the goldies will be back to full squabballing mode themselves in the not to distant future.

I now have two niger feeders with 6 perches, and one with 4. The small sunflower hearts feeder needs filling every day, so since I have a plastic adapter to screw into the base of a Droll Yankees feeder, I'm thinking of using it to hang a cheapo hearts feeder beneath.

The BTO count accepted 19 siskins last week, but I can't get onto the site at the moment to list this week's 44 - I'll let you know if it is queried.

Sleeper said:

I should have taken you up on that bet!! No "are you sure" message came up when I put the numbers in this morning.

Hi Elizabeth.

I can't quite remember when the notice came up I think it was when I had an influx of cillared doves. I also had a note come up when I counted a hedgehog that came out early from hibernation which stated that the record was early.

Has the count increased any and how about the goldies? Hardly any birds at all in my garden today ehum!

Yet another siskin update. It's quite difficult counting them on the ground, because they are always moving around, but on the ground here, feeding on the spillage there are about 56 and on the feeders and feeder tray 16, with a couple of goldfinches, as well as a goldfinch on its way in.

Attachments

• Siskins3.JPG
    Siskins3.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 87
  • Siskins4.jpg
    Siskins4.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 94
Elizabeth Bigg said:
Yet another siskin update. It's quite difficult counting them on the ground, because they are always moving around, but on the ground here, feeding on the spillage there are about 56 and on the feeders and feeder tray 16, with a couple of goldfinches, as well as a goldfinch on its way in.

I am just ssssoooo jealous!!

I am probably wrong here but:

This large flock has got to be a once in a lifetime event (over the year). That literally made me chuckle. I guess you would be hopefull of some rarities turning up with that many birds flying into the garden. Elizabeth, do they generally fly in a large flock or do they turn up in dribs and drabs? Howerver they turn up ..........more photos please!

Just had the first ever siskins on my feeders this week and as it's a new bird for my garden i took some pics

Attachments

• male siskin.jpg
    male siskin.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 101
  • siskin 2.jpg
    siskin 2.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 107
I've only had one Pine Siskin this year. It was mixed in with a flock of A. Goldfinches. I'm still hoping for a flock to swing by. Other years we've had them in flocks of 50+. Right now we are swamped with Common Redpolls, there were easily 100 on the snow and at the feeders this morning. The heavy snow is probably causing them to stay near the easiest food source.

The invasion continues into this corner of SW Herts - over 40 Siskins in the garden today. Noisy little chaps! Also 4 Redpolls feeding with them . Time to order some more sunflower hearts...

Sleeper said:
I am probably wrong here but:

This large flock has got to be a once in a lifetime event (over the year). That literally made me chuckle. I guess you would be hopefull of some rarities turning up with that many birds flying into the garden. Elizabeth, do they generally fly in a large flock or do they turn up in dribs and drabs? Howerver they turn up ..........more photos please!

There are a fair number in the trees when I become conscious in the morning, with more on the feeders - and gradually more (and more) come to join them.

Just for you - another (not very good) picture!

Attachments

• siskindg.jpg
    siskindg.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 101
Sleeper said:

Yes - it's just happened. I filled in the numbers for last week, and when I entered my count of 72 for siskins, I got the red warning - unusually high number of siskins. However as I have photographic evidence for this, I had the confidence to go ahead and confirm this number.

Still haven't seen one Siskin this year so far. But some birds have returned this weekend saw Robin, Blackbird, Chaffinch, Blue Tit, Coal Tit and Crow.

Most of the siskins have moved on!

We were out on Wednesday, but in the evening we noticed that the niger and sunflower hearts feeders had not been half (or more) emptied as usual, and we did not see many siskins on Thursday either. Over the weekend the number seems to be in the 4-7 range, so presumably they have moved off to their breeding territory. Now we are wondering if the goldfinch numbers will increase again - I hope so because I have just bought 25kg of niger seed! :eek!:

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back