• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olympic Quality Squirrels (1 Viewer)

GracieAllen

United States
I have a basic feeder in the yard, not particularly high with some natural limbs and such for photography, and a couple hanging feeders. On the pole we've had a variety of baffles and such. Last year, Rocky the flying squirrel got past the plastic baffle we had, so I bought one of the large, metal ones that hinge over each side. That worked. LAST year!

This year, Rocky is back and he brought FRIENDS. They climb the pole until they get close to the bottom of the baffle, then JUMP off the pole, snag the edge of the baffle and as the baffle starts to swing away, catapult themselves up into the feeders. It is TRULY impressive! And annoying!

We read that they can't climb PVC pipe, so we got a length of that, slit it, and put it OVER the galvanized pole. Climbed right up... Rocky SCOFFS at PVC.

We LOWERED the baffle a little so they couldn't catapult up to the feeders. THEN, he got a running start an JUMPED ONTO the baffle and blasted into the feeders before the baffle could make him slip off.

This afternoon, I created a plastic EDGE to go around the outside of the baffle, creating a vertical barrier hanging down from the edge - DID NOT WORK. They climb up, get to the height of the bottom of the vertical leap, catch an edge, and up into the feeders - it WORKS about 50% of the time.

The only idea I've got left is to get a short length of 3" sheet metal tubing and attach that to the pole so it hangs below the baffle and extends under the baffle so they can't leap off and catch it. Will 3" be big enough that they can't climb the outside or should I use 4 or 6"?

Or is there some OTHER idea? I don't want to use pepper 'cause I don't mind if the squirrels and rabbits and whoever want to eat the seed on the ground. I just want to keep the *&^%$# squirrels OFF the feeders.

I don't know if you have already seen these incredible (and so funny !) videos, but I think I understand your problem by watching them !! lol !!!
You are about to fight real ninjas, and the battle won't be easy, far from it !!
Here the first vid', and there are also 2 updates which followed.
Good luck !!! ;)

I have, and they are hilarious! And yes, these are SERIOUS ninja squirrels. I bought a 3' piece of 6" round duct this morning, and this afternoon I'll give it a try. At this point, it doesn't matter how HIGH I put the baffle, Rocky and his cohorts (I think he MAY be the Fagen of squirrels with a band of pickpockets), fly up the pole and chow down!

They're getting to the point where yelling at them from the window doesn't work. They used to run out of the yard, now they just drop the the ground, look innocent for a minute, they go back up the pole!

The domestic associate is finding the pitched battle absolutely hilarious, and is on Rocky's side! Says any squirrel that'll go through American Ninja Warrior training deserves some sunflower seeds! HMPH! Get OFF MY FEEDERS and while you're at it GET OFF MY LAWN!

On his first vid, the guy says these 2 feeders work fine except for the lid !!! It would be easy to find a way to lock these lids (or even change them) with screws, bolts, securing nuts, and easy to open for you to fill them... You see what i mean ?...
And for the attachment, I strongly recommend what I show you here !! Impossible to drop !!

Ninjas-fighting.jpg

<SCREAM OF ANGUISH> I obtained a 3 foot length of 6", round, galvanized duct. Put it on the pole and attached it on 1 side. Rocky came over, looked at it and RAN UP THE DUCT. HOW do you RUN UP a smooth piece of duct? Doesn't grab it, doesn't try to hang on, doesn't work his way up. He hits it at a run and RUNS UP THE DUCT, jumps out and catches the edge of the 18" "NEVER-FAIL" squirrel baffle, and acrobatically swings onto the feeder platform.

And now one of his cohorts is sitting there getting ready to try it.

WIDER BAFFLE? I've not seen one, but... OR, maybe I roll the 6" duct so the bottom is SMALLER than the top so the squirrels are running inverted?

It's probably, hopefully for a short time, becoming a 'docusoap', and it'd be better, clearer, if you showed some pictures of this feeder, and how it is installed etc...

I have a basic feeder in the yard, not particularly high with some natural limbs and such for photography, and a couple hanging feeders. On the pole we've had a variety of baffles and such. Last year, Rocky the flying squirrel got past the plastic baffle we had, so I bought one of the large, metal ones that hinge over each side. That worked. LAST year!

This year, Rocky is back and he brought FRIENDS. They climb the pole until they get close to the bottom of the baffle, then JUMP off the pole, snag the edge of the baffle and as the baffle starts to swing away, catapult themselves up into the feeders. It is TRULY impressive! And annoying!

We read that they can't climb PVC pipe, so we got a length of that, slit it, and put it OVER the galvanized pole. Climbed right up... Rocky SCOFFS at PVC.

We LOWERED the baffle a little so they couldn't catapult up to the feeders. THEN, he got a running start an JUMPED ONTO the baffle and blasted into the feeders before the baffle could make him slip off.

This afternoon, I created a plastic EDGE to go around the outside of the baffle, creating a vertical barrier hanging down from the edge - DID NOT WORK. They climb up, get to the height of the bottom of the vertical leap, catch an edge, and up into the feeders - it WORKS about 50% of the time.

The only idea I've got left is to get a short length of 3" sheet metal tubing and attach that to the pole so it hangs below the baffle and extends under the baffle so they can't leap off and catch it. Will 3" be big enough that they can't climb the outside or should I use 4 or 6"?

Or is there some OTHER idea? I don't want to use pepper 'cause I don't mind if the squirrels and rabbits and whoever want to eat the seed on the ground. I just want to keep the *&^%$# squirrels OFF the feeders.
I had good success in Connecticut with this kind of baffle (Cylindrical Squirrel Baffle | Northland Nature Nest)
Do note it is powder coated, so presumably too smooth for the little rodents to scamper up on.
However, your write-ups suggests that you have more agile squirrels than I did.
A conical coolie hat type baffle at least 20" in diameter should work though.
You might also try greasing the pole to handicap them at least a little.

I've currently got the equivalent of a circular baffle like you spoke of - and they ran up the side of THAT... The ONLY thing that's worked so far was I sprayed a light coating of Pam on the vertical baffle to see if it would slow 'em down. They STILL got to the top of the tube but DIDN'T get past the conical baffle above it. So, no squirrels this evening. Tomorrow morning I'm going to pull the duct baffle off and make it conical with a small opening at the bottom getting wider toward the top.

I'll maybe get a picture tomorrow, but you're gonna tell me the whole thing needs to be higher, which wouldn't do any good since they go UP the pole then swing out and up. So, putting the baffle(s) higher is just going to get the squirrels higher. PLUS, I don't want any of the limbs/perches higher because it'll cause problems with angles for photographing the birds.

I'd give in and give the squirrels their own easier to access feeding station so that they leave the bird one alone.

I expect Rocky and his gang to knock on the window any day now, demanding better grub or something.

This feeder has been in place for around 15 years. In this form (feeders, platform, limbs). Originally, there was NO baffle and nobody climbed the metal pole. At some point in the last 4-5 years, we had a squirrel or 2. And put one of those rounded, plastic baffles on. Worked fine, no squirrels.

Last year, Rocky showed up, and blew right past the plastic baffle. Bought the 18" metal baffle, and no more squirrels getting up there.
This year, Rocky is back, WITH FRIENDS, and went right up the metal pole, leaped to the edge of the baffle, and leaped onto the platform. Since squirrels CAN'T climb PVC (just ask the Internet), put a PVC pipe OVER the metal pole. Didn't work. I could HEAR Rocky LAUGHING!

Couple days ago, I added the plastic, vertical edge to the baffle figuring it would make it harder to get ONTO the baffle and up. Didn't work.

Yesterday, added a 3', 6" diameter length of galvanized duct, similar to the Torpedo baffle. DIDN'T work. Squirrels ran straight UP the vertical baffle onto the conical one, and into the feeders.

Today, took the 6" baffle and turned it into an inverted cone 2" at bottom 6" diameter at top, figuring even squirrels can't run upside down. SO FAR, had one squirrel on the feeders, but didn't see how he/she got there. May need to remove the plastic edging. May need to buy a case of the cheapest, generic "Pam" I can find and spray the baffle weekly!

feeder.jpg
Metal pole is bout 7 feet high. Horizontals are 1/2" threaded rod for feeders.
From where I set to photograph the birds (about 10' behind where I'm standing, I have the big tree for a backdrop.
Peanuts in the shell go in crevices in the long horizontal branch for the bluejays - this year, the crows, starlings, grackles, and blackbirds (CSGBB) are taking them. Along with the peanut butter and suet.

suet stick.jpg
Hanging stick for suet FOR WOODPECKERS. This year being eaten by the CSGBB...

sunflower.jpg
NORMALLY, this is a feeder with a hopper and troughs for cardinals and all the other birds to eat sunflower seeds. THIS YEAR, it's filled with SAFFLOWER seeds because CSGBB DON'T EAT safflower seeds (just ask the Internet). BALONEY. They emptied the feeder in a day, thus the use of the caged feeder. 'Course the cardinals and other birds aren't eating the safflower seeds EITHER. Even though Cardinals LOVE THEM (just ask the Internet)...

Behind it is a tube feeder with sunflower seeds, but so far the ONLY one to eat those is/are the squirrels. they hang upside down and dig out the sunflower seeds through the holes.
On the back side of this rod is a tube feeder with mixed seed and tube finch feeder with thistle.

baffle.jpg
The squirrel prevention area... Galvanized 1 1/8" galvanized pole, NOW COVERED WITH PVC (yup, 'cause squirrels can't get up pvc). Vertical cone should be impossible to get up, and conical baffle should be squirrel proof. NEITHER appears to be, but I'll have to see how the squirrels are getting up now... Maybe it just LOOKS like they're running up the vertical baffle and they're actual jumping right onto the baffle. In which case the platform has to be relocated and the baffle raised, after which I presume the Ninja Warrior squirrels will jump straight up and grab the feeders...

You're seeing just a SMALL part of the giant seed mess on the ground. This is from the crows, starlings, grackles, blackbirds emptying the other feeder that's NORMALLY in the front.

Last edited:
Thank you, it's easier that way to imagine... and share out with you these pesky worries !!
If I understand correctly, only the 'caged feeder' is spared, isn't it ?... so why not change the others for this model ?...

The tube feeders aren't huge problem either. And they're fine for some of the little birds that like the mixed seed. But this caged feeder SUCKS for things like cardinals and a lot of the other birds. They by FAR want the feeders with open troughs.

And, if you're photographing birds, you use suet, peanut butter, open seeds, and anything else to get the birds onto natural-looking perches and looking good. NONE of which survives either the marauding squirrels OR the crows, starlings, grackles and black birds. I can't do much about the problem birds, but I've NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM WITH SQUIRRELS, I'd like to get it fixed. That's why.

Apart from your thread here, i learned long ago that the problem with 'rodents' in your country, can very often cause serious problems, to which many resort with a very 'radical' solution !
Without thinking about it, and just about 3 or 4 squirrels, have you ever thought about using a trap (like Squirrelinator Trap), capturing them, and releasing them in the wild ?

In regard to your passion for birds, the care and pleasure you take in it, frankly in your place that's what I would come to do, instead of wasting my time trying to find solutions for most of all ineffective against these clever ninjas... catch them, and release them away from my home... have you ever thought about it ?...

Regarding this damn problem, and with only a few squirrels (if I understood correctly), that's what I would do !
I was just watching some vid's, info, about these traps, and it works great... Different prices depending on the cages, to capture several at the same time, or only one by one, etc.
I was also reading : ' It's best to relocate squirrels at least 5 miles from your residence, and at night, if you want best chance of them not returning.
And, not necessary, but if you can released them on one other side of a river, it could be an added advantage.
'

Amazon.com : squirrelinator squirrel trap

Bye bye, Rocky and his gang !!!

Keep us posted, please, Gracie ! ;)

Last edited:
I wonder if the local rental place rents squirrel traps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm checking tomorrow.

I can hear the conversation as I put the trap with the squirrel in it, drive him across the river, and dump him by the side of the woods. "If you know what's good for ya, squirrel, you'll stay on DIS side of da river!"

You simply have to brute force this.
Get a really big baffle, 24-30" in diameter, it will work. Squirrels are very capable rodents, but they too have their limits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back