• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unusual White-throated Sparrow (1 Viewer)

hbreder

A White-throated Sparrow photographed in my backyard yesterday shows bright yellow alula feathers. None of the illustrations/photos of this species that I have looked at shows this. Is it a hybrid?

Attachments

• White-throated_Sparrow_2_IMG_0295.jpg
    White-throated_Sparrow_2_IMG_0295.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 82
It's probably just a plumage abnormality. According to BNA-online, a couple of White-throated Sparrows with yellowish underparts are known from museum collections.

Edit:
Bright yellow alulas & untinted underparts & I missed it all! Wow, even by my standards an extremely sloppy reading of your post. Apologies, apologies apologies. . ..

Last edited:
I don't think it's that unusual for the alula to be bright yellow on a white-phase bird like this; it's just that the feathers are better hidden, and often completely hidden, in a normal view in the field. In the hand (ie. when banding them), you can often see the yellow there.

Makes sense. I am surprised that it isn't mentioned in Beadle & Rising's Photographic Guide of Sparrows of United States and Canada, or explicitly stated anywhere else in the many general guides that I have own.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back