• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White crowned sparrow? Hybrid? Sonoma County, CA (1 Viewer)

MelospizaMelodiaFan

I photograph birds
United States
This looks like an immature white crowned sparrow, but the lack of an eye stripe hinders me from making a positive ID. Is this a hybrid with a golden crowned sparrow? Or something else completely?

white crowned sparrow CCRP 220923.jpg

White-crowned Sparrow, GISS looks completely off for Golden-crowned Sparrow and even the most drab bedraggled and scrungliest Golden-crowns would show even a tiny hint of gold in the lores, this bird also has the faintest trace of a line behind the eye much like these birds photographed below.

White-crowned Sparrow, GISS looks completely off for Golden-crowned Sparrow and even the most drab bedraggled and scrungliest Golden-crowns would show even a tiny hint of gold in the lores, this bird also has the faintest trace of a line behind the eye much like these birds photographed below.
What is GISS? Thanks.

General Impression, Size, and Shape. Basically the overall impression or appearance of a bird garnered from such features as shape, posture, flying style or other habitual movements, size, and coloration combined with voice, habitat, and location.
Thank you. I agree, it looks like a white crown other than the lack of eye stripe (or just a hint of one). The immature golden crown seems to have more "messy" or mottled feathers on its crown, this one looks very "clean."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back