• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is it a house sparrow variant, or something else? (1 Viewer)

Royboy999

I'm new to birding, and recently put up a bird feeder on my back porch in Chicago. It has attracted grey squirrels and cats, as well as mainly house sparrows. A squirrel baffle seems to keep the squirrels off the feeder, and I've been vigilant about chasing cats away. I've seen a pair of blue jays 3 times in the past several weeks, plus a cardinal twice. One bird identification has stumped me, however. It's about the same size, shape, and stripping as a house sparrow, but it has a dull, ruby red breast, and also some red on its head and back. It is outnumbered about 20 to one by the house sparrows. Does anyone know what it is? Thanks for reading.

Thanks, KC. In a bird book I have, I saw something I thought it might be which was a type of finch. In the picture you sent, the feathers are much too light in color and fluffed out. It looks very much like a house sparrow in coloring, except for the ruby red breast, head and back (underneath the wings)

That could be its fall plumage which is usually quite dull this time of year. If you could get a photo of it, that would really help.

That could be its fall plumage which is usually quite dull this time of year. If you could get a photo of it, that would really help.

I googled house finch/fall plumage, KC, and one of the videos I found looks like the guys I have on my feeder. In the video, he even had the same behavior which was turning around periodically as if keeping a lookout. Thanks for your help in identifying him.

KC, I managed to get 2 grainy pictures of what might be the House Finch you were guessing. What do you think?

Attachments

• 20150102_110030.jpg
    20150102_110030.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 20150102_105957.jpg
    20150102_105957.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 70
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back