• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this weekend, the best time to do the Big Garden Birdwatch? (1 Viewer)

Peugeot

As you'll already know, the RSPB's Big Garden Birdwatch, will be taking place this coming weekend, but do you think that this is the best time of Winter to carry out this survey?

I generally find, that the end of January, is a little quieter birdwise in the garden, than say, the end of December, and would like to see the survey moved to an earlier date.

Don't know why that date was chosen initially, but as it has been running a few years now, changing the date 'to get more birds' would mess up any attempt to compare years now.

January is a colder month than Dec, so (in theory at least), more birds should be requiring food in gardens. Perhaps counteracted by some birds moving back onto territory as the year progresses. There should also be less birds about as the months progress through the winter as mortality of adults and first winter birds occur (ie the equivalent to the whole new broods produced each year have to perish to maintain population levels on a constant). A lot of these will happen over the colder period mid-winter.

Also, from the participants point of view, December is a very busy month with the build up to Christmas and New Year. So the numbers of people taking part would be much less if it was held in December.
End of January is a very quiet time of year for most people.

Only gripe I have is that it's only an hour long.

Don't feel that's long enough to give an accurate picture of the visitors we get on a daily basis.

Basically, what's happened is, we're still getting pretty much the same species as the Winter has progressed, although the regular Dunnock and Blackcap, appear to have moved on now, and the previously very large number of Starlings, that were devouring the Fat Balls and Cakes at an alarming rate, have moved on also, and I wonder whether this is because, those birds had newly arrived from the continent, and were embarking on a feeding frenzy after their long journey?

Also, Goldfinch number's have halved, although Blackbirds, have increased from a couple birds, to as many as 8 birds at a time now, whilst Chaffinch number's, are steadily increasing too.

I agree, that 1 hour is probably a little too short, to cover all of the species that visit daily, so we carry out our survey at the busiest time at the feeder's for us, which is usually between 12pm and 1pm, when most of the regulars visit.

With any ongoing study, consistency is very important to compare trends, population changes etc. January was probably originally chosen because it is a 'quiet' month in mid winter and is valuable as a measure for that reason. Annual fluctuations due to weather will be evened out over the years. Personally I think the value of this particular survey is in getting new people involved in birdwatching; it doesn't actually contribute too much to science. It is a 'snapshot'. If you want to do more valuable in depth surveys get involved with surveys like BBS or WeBS.

Hi, I don't want to hijack this thread but I'm equally mindful of not starting another BGB 2015 thread in order to ask my question - I hope that's OK with the OP and wider forum :)

This will be the first year I've done it and I wanted to clarify the counting method.

The form says 'record the highest number of each species you see at the same time', so, for example, if 3 Blue Tits arrive on the birdtable at the start of my hour I note down 3 but thereafter if I get 1 or 2 together or even another 3 together I don't record these at all ?

I'd only record another number for Blue Tit if 4 arrived together ?

Is that right ?

Hi, I don't want to hijack this thread but I'm equally mindful of not starting another BGB 2015 thread in order to ask my question - I hope that's OK with the OP and wider forum :)

This will be the first year I've done it and I wanted to clarify the counting method.

The form says 'record the highest number of each species you see at the same time', so, for example, if 3 Blue Tits arrive on the birdtable at the start of my hour I note down 3 but thereafter if I get 1 or 2 together or even another 3 together I don't record these at all ?

I'd only record another number for Blue Tit if 4 arrived together ?

Is that right ?

that is correct , they could be the same birds returning:t:

Having it the end of January makes us something to look forward to as a lot of folk don't really like January (including me) and when The Big Garden Birdwatch comes it cheers me up.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back