• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help (1 Viewer)

appsy

Hi all,

First time user here. Nice to meet you!

I am writing because being a bird lover I would like a solution to my problem. Last year I found a lot of blackberries had started growing in my garden hedge, certainly a nice surprise. I think they must be coming through from the hedge behind, but either way they are there. Birds really got to them last year - they had the lot and I was able to retrieve only a handful. My grandchildren are coming after easter as my son is going away and I want to have some berries left for them to pick. Is there a way of keeping the birds away without harming them? I read here about using cd's or tape. To be quite honest that seems a rather ugly thing to put in my garden. I don't want to use netting at all either. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Alan

Hi Alan,

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Moderators and Admin. Glad to have you on board :t:

Always good to welcome someone from my birthplace.

If you've ruled out CDs, tape and netting I am not sure what to suggest. I put netting over my raspberry canes and while it is somewhat unsightly it does work.

Hi Robin,

I've had no luck finding any other options, been searching for a week or so. It may have to be the netting I think. It's the one that will look the least unsightly in my garden. Do you suggest a certain type? Which one do you use?

Alan

Welcome!

Just a thought - there won't be any blackberries to pick at Easter time, appsy.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back