• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small bins:which ones? Help needed (1 Viewer)

If it is so much trouble to get the Opticrons, why not just get the Nikon Premier LX L 8x20 or Nikon Premier LX L 10x25? About $400 in dollars.

If it is so much trouble to get the Opticrons, why not just get the Nikon Premier LX L 8x20 or Nikon Premier LX L 10x25? About $400 in dollars.

They're over double the price so not an obvious replacement purchase...

I'd agree that if you are buying reverse porros then the Nikon Travelite's or Opticron Taiga's are excellent.

if you want a "posh" roof then do try them. I reckon they are very personal. I can't get on with the Leica's depsite the excellent image.

what about the Opticron Traveller 8x32? can't be much bigger than a reverse porro and they are easier to use than most small roofs despite the odd focus wheel position.

what about the Opticron Traveller 8x32? can't be much bigger than a reverse porro and they are easier to use than most small roofs despite the odd focus wheel position.

I'd agree they are definitely worth a look, there are a couple of other manufacturers (Bushnell and Hawke) who are also making similar small 8x32 roofs.

I decided to buy a pair of small bins to keep always in my car.
And maybe get a thermal insulation bag to keep them in to buffer temperature changes. Recall one BFer whose Bushnell Customs kept going out of collimation every summer after being kept in car.

I have yet to find a small binocular I like better than my Zeiss Victory 10x25. I spent a full day comparing these (and the 8x20's) to their Leica and Swaro equivalents and kept returning to the Zeiss. I thought the Swaros were a teensy bit better optically but not for the price premium or ergonomics. After a year, I am totally satisfied with the Zeiss Victory's and would buy them again over the other big two brands.

BTW, I bought these for carrying in a small day pack so weight mattered to me among other things.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back