• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moisture and FZ models (1 Viewer)

Swissboy

Sempach, Switzerland
Supporter
Switzerland
I took along a FZ200 on a 3 1/2 week trip to Madagascar. Most of the time, everything went smoothly. Except that I once again had to realize that the camara is not doing very well with the focus in moderate light and long tele setting. All too often did I not succeed in getting a well focussed shot when in a hurry.

However, there was a completely new experience as well. On one of the days, we hiked and observed all day in the rainforest at the Ranomafana NP. In the afternoon, a thunderstorm with drenching rain started. We had to walk back for about an hour in those conditions. I stored my FZ200 in the backpack. But the rain succeeded to really drench the fabric of the backpack. So everything inside got its share of moisture, though no actual running water.

When I tried to use the camera in the evening, and the next morning, there were strange noises coming from inside when I only turned on the camera even when I did not really use it. The camera actually seemed to function to some degree, though with some more focussing problems than usual. But I was afraid it might quit alltogether. So I mostly did not use it. In the late morning, we got to a lookout where we stayed for quite a while. And for a long time, we were the only group up there. So we started to spread our still moist or wet stuff on the sun-exposed platform. I also put my camera into the full sun for about 45 minutes, it is not on the picture, of course. And after that exposure, the noise was gone. It came back briefly in the evening, but the night in the dry room was apparently sufficient, to get rid of whatever moisture there still was. So for the rest of the trip, the camera functioned flawlessly.

Nevertheless, the fact that just moist air was sufficient to affect the camera was rather disquieting. I'm sure, a dry bag would have prevented the problem. But we simply did not expect that much rain. So we only had a cover for the backpack which still allowed the rain to run down on the unprotected back side.

Attachments

• P1110991red1200 drying stuff.jpg
    P1110991red1200 drying stuff.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Robert, maybe I am more of a chicken than you, but I usually have a plastic zipper bag (the type that is used for storing food in freezers) when going out like that. I can only remember needing it a few times during several years, but it is a nice feeling to have ;)

Niels

......... but it is a nice feeling to have ;)

Niels

I agree, Niels. But I felt my camera was perfectly safe in that backpack. (At least as long as the pack does not fall into the water.)

I wonder what the "sealing" on the FZ300/330 would bring in such a situation.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back