• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Airline Travel (1 Viewer)

markho

Thinking of taking my camera and lens with me for the first time in April. I was wondering what most people do in this situation. I only have a small Lowepro bag which holds camera and 300m lens so .
Should I take it onto the aircraft as hand luggage or buy something stronger and check it into the hold.

Any advice much appreciated.

Rgds Mark

Same here. I don't trust putting my camera equipment into the baggage hold. It could get broken or stolen. I once went to Italy and my suitcase went to Holland. I eventually got it back but my holiday was almost finished by then. I have had things stolen from my suitcase in Mexico. Also, I have seem how baggage handlers sometimes throw the bags around.

Thanks everyone, seems its hand luggage then. I have a travel scope and bins too so will have to make sure I'm not too heavy for a carry on bag. I assume the security x-ray machines don't do any harm to SD cards ?

Camera equipment will take checked luggage over the liability limits of airlines or general travel insurance pretty quickly. so you really want your gear as carry-on. However, at the same time carry-on weight allowances are more likely to go down than up. It's a gauntlet the expensively-equiped have to run.

Camera equipment always in hand luggage, chargers/cables etc in the hold luggage to save weight. Hand Luggage allowances are never enough. I take a pack horse (sorry wife!) to carry half my gear

Cheers
Martyn

Hand luggage, Mark, always !

You can just wear your bins if you don't feel like bagging them, carry them underarm with the strap over the opposite shoulder if you don't want to stand with them on display, although that might be awkward if you use an 8x56. If you are flying during daylight hours book or just ask for a window seat, use your binos and enjoy the flight.

Have a great trip.

the new Nikon 300mm PF will definitely help when it comes to hand luggage allowances - incredibly small and lightweight.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back