• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 6D (1 Viewer)

Peter Ericsson

I have used the search tool for the above mentioned camera but the search engine doesn't find me anything.

Are there any threads on this camera on the forum?

I'd like to hear from users and their experience with it.

Peter

From my friends that use it (i know its hearsay but this is the best that I have):

(1) Very good low-light AF and high iso performance. This helps when hand-holding the lens as it allows you to easily reach the necessary shutterspeed without IS for your 400mm 5.6 (1/400s).
(2) AF system primitive but alright if you stick to the center point only. For me, not a problem as I've been using the rebel series only.
(3) Great picture quality.
(4) Long battery life.
(5) Slow shooting speed compared to other bodies.

Have a look at the following http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/6d.htm

Shane

Sorry, but Ken Rockwell is not a good reference. He's quite the hack IMO which has been formed over time. I want a 6D as well, but wouldn't buy anything based on what KR says.

In his paint with a roller style he declares the 6D the second best camera available and states that nobody cares / uses 1/8000 sec shutter or even 1/4000! He must forget these represent whole stops. He also equates 1/180 sec flash sync with 1/250, in effect, because it's not a whole stop different, forgetting the value of the faster sync for daytime fill. These are but two examples of his limited vision because he pretty much just take pics of his kids.

Try DPR for their review, and google for others. Skip KR.

I don't have a 6D personally but have been looking at them closely for landscape and macro work. The 6D has one of (if not the) best sensors Canon make but the frame rate is slow and the AF is not very flexible. Many make a big deal about the extra "Reach" of smaller sensors. personally I have not found this to be much of an issue. Both my DSLR cameras are full frame and I do not miss the crop sensors I used to have + I find the IQ and high ISO to be better on the larger sensors.
If you can stretch to it I think a 5D3 would be a better option, if not the 6D is quite capable of giving you stunning images but you will have to work harder/be luckier to get them.

I'd already have a 6D if it weren't for a couple of turn-offs.

The slow flash sync bugs me. The shutter lag, 3/10s of a second, is a bummer.
Lesser issues like 1/4000 top speed, no built in flash, 97% viewfinder, different rear panel layout from the xD cameras, and dumbed down focus array, don't add to my enthusiasm.

But, it is a relatively inexpensive FF camera with a good sensor and a good processor. It just strikes me as a major step down in handling, coming from a 7D.

Wish I had the money for a 5DIII.

To the OP,
If you're looking at the 6D as a birding camera you might want to rent one before buying. On paper anyway, it doesn't look like it's especially well suited for that.

Last edited:
I don't know what the shutter lag is on my 7D?
Flash sync at 1/180 is major when handholding a 400F5.6 in the forest....1/250 so much better.
I only use 1 focal point in just about all situations...never been much of an issue for me.

I also found the KR review not very good. Tone of voice is not right.

I don't know what the shutter lag is on my 7D?
Flash sync at 1/180 is major when handholding a 400F5.6 in the forest....1/250 so much better.
I only use 1 focal point in just about all situations...never been much of an issue for me.

I also found the KR review not very good. Tone of voice is not right.

Shutter lag- 131ms (7D) vs 290ms (6D)
Here's some specs between the 6D & 7D
http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-EOS-6D-vs-Canon_EOS_7D

With the 6D's high ISO performance I doubt you'll need to use flash much, especially when reviews are showing clean and reasonably noise-free shots to ISO16000!

Shutter lag- 131ms (7D) vs 290ms (6D)
Here's some specs between the 6D & 7D
http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-EOS-6D-vs-Canon_EOS_7D

I didn't realise that the 6D had such a long shutter lag, this could make a difference for wildlife. I moved from the 1D4 to the 1DX and immediately noticed it's faster response - 108ms vs 55/36ms.
Canon do not claim the 6D is the most responsive camera on the market and most people will probably not notice this difference. If the situation is not too demanding then the 6D will give all the IQ you (or I) can use. It is in the more critical situations that the pro cameras excel - but at a price!
I would suggest that for static and slow moving subjects, using the center AF point, the 6D is hard to beat - where things get a bit more tricky then more money is needed.

Canon's "upgrade" strategy doesn't work for me. In many ways the 6D is a downgrade, sans image quality and format advantages. This gets me looking at the 5DIII, which for me is too expensive. So instead of buying a new Canon FF body, I actually am considering a Nikon D610!

If I'm going to give up fast handling for image quality, then the D610 starts looking better than the 6D with the exception that I'd now be into two different systems which, frankly, doesn't make a lot of sense either.

So, I do nothing. And Canon misses a sale of a new body and probably another lens or two to go with it. I'll bet I'm not the only one weighing these things.

Last edited:
I have a 6D; I bought it in February when I realized that the Swedish winter days were too dark for my 7D. I like it very much - it can be used at high ISOs, it has very accurate focus, and it feels slightly lighter in my hands than the 7D. The picture quality is generally better than what I get from the 7D.

I haven't had any problems at all with shutter lag, the only drawback I've experienced is the relatively limited buffer - it has to rest and rebuild the picture buffer after like 10 or so quick shots.

I have posted a few photos in the "6D set" on my Flickr page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ulfgotthardsson/sets/72157644592952112/

I have a 6D; I bought it in February when I realized that the Swedish winter days were too dark for my 7D. I like it very much - it can be used at high ISOs, it has very accurate focus, and it feels slightly lighter in my hands than the 7D. The picture quality is generally better than what I get from the 7D.

I haven't had any problems at all with shutter lag, the only drawback I've experienced is the relatively limited buffer - it has to rest and rebuild the picture buffer after like 10 or so quick shots.

I have posted a few photos in the "6D set" on my Flickr page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ulfgotthardsson/sets/72157644592952112/

I think you have hit the nail on the head there.
The 6D is a pretty standard consumer body with one of Canon's best sensors in it. I don't think this camera was ever designed with the wildlife photographer in mind - though it can do a very good job! If one needs the best in image quality coupled with speed/responsiveness then one needs a 1 series. However if the more limited functionality of the 6d is OK for you then it is a fine camera that doesn't compromise on image quality.

If you do a general search "canon 6d for birding" should bring up a list of post, but on other forums. Been searching similiar upgrade questions myself. Mixed reviews on 6D for birding. 5D3 out of my price range. Like Kevin have been looking at Nikon but then issue of replacing lens so cost gets even higher. May someday the Unicorn aka 7d MK II (or whatever) will be available and be a true upgrade.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back