• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird song ids? (1 Viewer)

Tim100

Hello,

I know it is difficult to describe bird song but here goes. Both are birds heard in a town garden in the SE England

1 - If anyone knows the way football supporters chant "What a load of rubbish" then this describes the emphasis of this bird's tune.

2 - More shrill (quite loud too) than the above bird and the beat goes 1-2 1-2 1-2 1-2 at quite fast speeds sometimes just four or six beats but normally eight.

I know this is difficult but I can't stand bird books which say "the song is a nasal 'cseeh' followed by a 'zchhh zchhh' !!!" :frog: How on earth would anyone make that noise?!

Blackbird end of song and Great Tit would be my guess. The quality.... fluty/nasal/simple etc will help...as is where it is coming from

If 1 is a simple repeated song coming from a Reed Bed or near one.. with quite a thin tone, it may well be a Reed Bunting

Jane Turner said:
Blackbird end of song and Great Tit would be my guess. The quality.... fluty/nasal/simple etc will help...as is where it is coming from

If 1 is a simple repeated song coming from a Reed Bed or near one.. with quite a thin tone, it may well be a Reed Bunting

Thanks for the response Jane.

Great Tit defintiely fits as there are a pair which visit the feeder on a daily basis.

I wouldn't know whether to match the other noise (football chant sound alike)with a blackbird as it seems too quiet/delicate for it knowing it has that awful ak-ak-ak alarm call but I wouldn't rule it out.

The songs where heard in a garden in an urban area.

Thanks again,

Tim

Tim100 said:
Thanks for the response Jane.

Great Tit defintiely fits as there are a pair which visit the feeder on a daily basis.

I wouldn't know whether to match the other noise (football chant sound alike)with a blackbird as it seems too quiet/delicate for it knowing it has that awful ak-ak-ak alarm call but I wouldn't rule it out.

The songs where heard in a garden in an urban area.

Thanks again,

Tim

I think the football chant one is probably the great tit. Song Thrush for the other? When I was a kid an older birder once told me if you hear a bird you dont recognise, its a Great Tit. This has been true many many times!
Regards, Paul

Tim100 said:
Hello,

I know it is difficult to describe bird song but here goes. Both are birds heard in a town garden in the SE England

1 - If anyone knows the way football supporters chant "What a load of rubbish" then this describes the emphasis of this bird's tune.

2 - More shrill (quite loud too) than the above bird and the beat goes 1-2 1-2 1-2 1-2 at quite fast speeds sometimes just four or six beats but normally eight.

Difficult of course...

Could easily both be great tit, as they make a wide variety of calls, and individuals vary too. The second one sounds like a classic "tea-cher tea-cher" great tit call.

But your first one seems more like blue tit to me. The end of a longer song sounds unlikely, as you'd surely have noticed the rest of it., I think it must be something which repeats the same rhythm many times -- and that's just right for blue tit. "Bee d-d-d-d-d-d" would cover the rhythm I most often hear -- I can't remember having heard a "football chant" version, but it could be within the range of what they do, especially if done faster than the usual version. It's always a jazzy, cheeky little number.

I have encountered a few less-imaginative blackbirds which repeat certain phrases (one suburb I lived in had dozens which all sang the same dull little tune). Generally though they are fluent and imaginative, producing long musical fluty phrases. However it is still a bit early for blackbirds, at least out here in the country -- I've only heard one or two so far, on very warm mornings (unlike today...).

Song thrushes can also pick up rhythmic phrases -- most commonly phone rings and car alarms. You'd tend to hear the other parts of the song though, unless it was a way off, when you might perhaps only pick up bits of it. The characteristic thing about song thrush songs is that they think slower than blackbirds -- they have to repeat each phrase two or three times while they're making up the next one. (Mistle thrush is also short on imagination -- it keeps to only three or four similar notes, going for extreme volume instead of variety).

Eventually you'll see your bird singing or calling, and then you'll know...

There are two things I find particularly helpful with birdsong. One is to get familiar with the common ones -- and a suburban garden is a very good place to start this. The other is to have phrases or ideas to help remember the tone and rhythm. Classic examples are "Little-bit-of-bread-and-no-cheeeeeeeeeeese" for yellowhammer song, and a fast-bowler's run-up for the chaffinch rhythm.

Richard

Number 2 is probably Great Tit, but Coal Tit can't be ruled out - similar to Great Tit but faster and higher pitch, 'ti-cha, ti-cha, ti-cha'

Connorbirda said:
When I was a kid an older birder once told me if you hear a bird you dont recognise, its a Great Tit. This has been true many many times!
Regards, Paul

That's in Bill Oddie's Little Black Bird Book

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back