• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Audio from Amazonian Ecuador - PART 2 (1 Viewer)

payaminotom

United Kingdom
Hi all,

I had a great response from the community last time I posted audio files from my stint as a researcher in Ecuador. I'm gradually going through old recordings and trying to piece together some identifications, so if anyone finds any of these songs and calls recognisable, please let me know! They are all background recordings from videos of other species, not professional at all, just me being really curious, so no worries at all if some of these are hopeless. Definitely best listened to with earphones! Taken in San Jose de Payamino, approx 300m elevation.

1- 02.02 H Trail 2 (Secondary Forest, near river. This one is familiar but I can't for the life of me place it)
2- 17.02 00025 (Secondary Forest, unusual four part song where last note is split and inflected upwards, followed by loud pipping, but likely separate species)
3- 17.02 00026 (Secondary Forest, very common call in the area, but bird clearly illusive. Antbird perhaps?)
4- 17.02 00034 (Secondary Forest, song that reminds me of an Antshrike but I can't find a matching species, followed by same/similar loud pipping as 2)
5- 17.02 D Trail 5 (Secondary Forest, in clearing by river. Varied pitch calls)

Any help or comment is appreciated. Thanks all.

Tom

Attachments

• 02.02 H Trail 2-[AudioTrimmer.com].mp3
    1 MB
  • 17.02 00025-[AudioTrimmer.com].mp3
    424.6 KB
  • 17.02 00026-[AudioTrimmer.com].mp3
    1.3 MB
  • 17.02 00034-[AudioTrimmer.com].mp3
    352.5 KB
  • 17.02 D Trail 5-[AudioTrimmer.com].mp3
    634 KB
1: a parrot, I'm a bit rusty but perhaps Mealy Amazon?
2: not sure of the other calls but it sounsd like a Hermit (Paethornis) passes through - the higher pitched "tsik" call given a few times, in obvious motion
4: familiar but can't place it. Woodcreeper? reminiscent of an Antthrush but doesn't seem to match the local possibilities

1: a parrot, I'm a bit rusty but perhaps Mealy Amazon?
2: not sure of the other calls but it sounsd like a Hermit (Paethornis) passes through - the higher pitched "tsik" call given a few times, in obvious motion
4: familiar but can't place it. Woodcreeper? reminiscent of an Antthrush but doesn't seem to match the local possibilities
Thanks for your reply Avery,

1. you're spot on, knew it was something obvious i'd been overlooking!
2. wow that is an amazing recall, I have a few hermits on my list for the area so wouldn't be surprised! Maybe most similar to White-bearded, but not confident I could ID for sure.
4. Admittedly I haven't checked the relevant woodcreepers yet , but after a bit of a scour on xeno-canto I am attracted towards the prospect of the alarm call of the Striated Anttrush, check out XC258587 Striated Antthrush (Chamaeza nobilis) and XC258588 Striated Antthrush (Chamaeza nobilis)

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back