• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blackbirds and suet cakes? (1 Viewer)

herring99

To go along wth my mad Robin (uses the peanut, suet and seed feeder) the resident female blackbird has also now gone odd. She likes the suet cake I hang out and has been feeding on it for the last two days now. I've never seen or heard of this before. Has anyone else seen behaviour like this?

Herring

Yes- The grackles who come to my feeder for seeds also like the suet from time to time. The are most often in the tray but they do like the suet too. Blackbirds and grackles will eat just about anything won't they?

I don't know what kind of blackbirds you get in the UK, but here in MA my grackles, starlings and just about any other insect eating bird will come to my suet feeders, especially in the spring, during migrating in or through. Because of the snow cover (we have 2 feet here, still) and the lack of insects, they are often taken by surprise, so they truly depend on the suet for survival. Keeping suet up during this time can be very rewarding, as unexepected birds will show up! Last mid-October I had a Baltimore Oriole come to my peanut butter flavoured suet, before heading south. I was shocked to even find him still in the area. Nice surprise, though!

herring99 said:
To go along wth my mad Robin (uses the peanut, suet and seed feeder) the resident female blackbird has also now gone odd. She likes the suet cake I hang out and has been feeding on it for the last two days now. I've never seen or heard of this before. Has anyone else seen behaviour like this?

Herring

We have 2 blackbirds that go to the suet cake many times a day.
We have a holder for suet cakes, supposedly for the starlings but blackbirds and starlings both prefer the free hanging cake.
The holder is used by the robins and blue, coal and great tits.

http:// www. furandfeathers.co.uk

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back