• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thrush, Vancouver Island (1 Viewer)

vpr

Hi everyone,

Any idea on this? Hermit? Swainson's?

I feel the shape is more like a hermit thrush, but I don't see a reddish tail.

Attachments

• unknown_thrush2.jpg
    unknown_thrush2.jpg
    537.6 KB · Views: 105
Thanks a lot for the reply!

I have trouble still telling them apart (unless some of the more obvious field markings are apparent).

In this case, what aspect of it gave it away?

The stocky body shape made me thing hermit, but the face looked more Swainson's.

Swainson's is a bit more buffy in the face than a Hermit in the Pacific NW (elsewhere difference is even more noticeable). This bird fits that but it's not a really prominent mark. A Hermit should have noticeably darker spotting on the breast, and that rusty tail should be clearly visible on a photo like this.

By the way, I'm not sure if this throws a spanner into the works, but I saw what I think was the same bird today in the same place, but in a little bit better lighting and from a different angle (above). It had a distinct rusty tail.

The one today was definitely a hermit.

I think it was the same bird as I've never seen either here before, and so two different species in two days would be unusual, but obviously not impossible.

Could this then rather be a hermit with a somewhat less prominent tail because of the lighting?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back